Author Topic: Gino's East Deep Dish Pizza (Frozen)  (Read 3007 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Gino's East Deep Dish Pizza (Frozen)
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »
I am not really a frozen pizza guy, but when I lived in the Midwest I made frequent trips to Chicago, the home of deep dish pizza.

I have been to Gino's original pizza many times, they begin their business in downtown Chicago in 1966 by two taxi drivers. The claim to fame is the the deep dish pizza, so when I saw their pizza at the local grocery store I had to give it a try. I can tell you, this is a serious pizza, weighing in at 2 lbs. Overall the taste of the sauce, cheese, pepperoni and sausage was good. I would have wished for a bit more sauce and some veggies.

For $8.00 it was a much better pizza than any other frozen pizza. I just wish Giordano's which started in the 70's was in grocery stores, I like the sauce and the crust better.

Greg

Durangosmoker

Re: Gino's East Deep Dish Pizza (Frozen)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:53 PM »
You might like it more if you cooked it in the smoker.  ;D
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
You might like it more if you cooked it in the smoker.  ;D

Some things you can improve in a smoker and some things, not so much :)

Greg

RG

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
The SI is definitely NOT suited for pizzas. That looks killer Greg, for $8.00 that's a great value. It looks like the real McCoy to boot, not usually the case with frozen pies.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »
Hey Greg is the Mozzarella under the tomato sauce or not at all? I have seen some from Chi town where they put the Mozzarella on the bottom, then meat and sauce on top. Just cannot remember the name of the parlor. My Mom got one of our neighborhood ladies to teach her to make a pizza. It was a very thin crust, with olive oil and anchovies pieces, than a thin tomato sauce and grated parmesan cheese. This was before the days of packaged grated cheeses. We would have this on Friday nights, Catholic you know no meat on Fridays. 
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »
no cheese!

http://www.corropolesebakery.com/?page_id=13

Simple and great if ever in the area.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
Hey John, thanks for the link, I would go with the tomato pie, anchovy and pepperoni topping. Or maybe the Bruschetta now making my mouth water.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri