Author Topic: Burgers and Rings  (Read 5729 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Burgers and Rings
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Apparently is does contain MSG. But it is the last ingredient so it may not be much.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=8D143EDC-E10D-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Thanks Arnie, but even a trace is too much...weird, I know.  I'm looking for some other seasoned flour substitutes - I really want to make some rings that look that good!!  Anyone with an alternative, let me know!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mizzoufan

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:32 AM »
As an alternative (I'll be doing it since I don't like to keep a whole bunch of boxes of similar things in my pantry), just use AP flour and add your own spice/herb mix.  Shouldn't see much, if any, difference.
Steven from KCMO

RG

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
As an alternative (I'll be doing it since I don't like to keep a whole bunch of boxes of similar things in my pantry), just use AP flour and add your own spice/herb mix.  Shouldn't see much, if any, difference.
Eh....you can get real close but not exact. It is a good way to control what you want to have in it for sure! I think THE most important part is the double dipping and when in season, use Vidalia onions. For those like myself that are in GA, you do get spoiled to having easy access to them. They are just a phenomenal onion for o-rings.

For you folks that try the rings, let me know what you think about'em. They do taste as good as they look :D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »
Great idea on making my own seasoned flour, Steven - thanks!  And Jason - +++1 on the Vidalias!  Absolutely the best onion on the planet!  Love 'em in rings, sauteed, cooked in things, etc...  We only get them in the late spring to fall in NW AR.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 12:12:17 PM »
Hey RG, I just checked can get this flour at Wal-Mart in Kansas City. I will be making these soon. As I think the Vidalias are in now. Tell your wife thank-you from me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:24:18 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

RG

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
Hey RG, I just checked can get this flour at Wal-Mart in Kansas City. I will be making these soon. As I think the Vidalias are in now. Tell your wife thank-you from me.

I'll let her know, you'll love them, I guarantee it ;)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »
Planning on doing them maybe this weekend. I just have a small frydaddy, but seems like I seen a video on onion rings where they used a 9 inch skillet. I can keep the temp up and cook several as long as not crowded. In the frydaddy would be one or two.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri