Author Topic: Thinking about adding a propane grill  (Read 1568 times)

prudentsmoker

Thinking about adding a propane grill
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:58:44 AM »
I have a Number 3 and a Kamado Joe (charcoal) and thinking about adding a propane grill. If you have one can you tell me what you use if for and/or how often? I have wanted one for a long time and think I might get one around Labor Day when they go on sale.
Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

mike1910

Re: Thinking about adding a propane grill
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »
I bought a propane about 10 years ago and still have it. I didn’t get into smoking until about 5 years ago so prior to that it was my main option along with my Weber kettle. I still use it every now and then but mostly for brats, polish, hot dogs. I like having it around for when times I’m in a time crunch. We’ve got 2 little kids so sometimes I don’t have luxury of waiting around for the smoker or Weber.  I got a Blackstone griddle this spring and use that a lot now too. In fact, one could argue it would make More sense to buy a Blackstone as they are more versatile. I’ve used my Blackstone for smash burgers, fajitas, breakfast, Boneless chicken breast, fried rice and more.  Just my 2 cents
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
My suggestion is a Weber gasser, and for these reasons: My dad just replaced the Weber propane grill I grew up watching him grill on and learned on. This thing is probably 30 years old, and is still working, as we took it to our lake house. It was a three burner and he wanted a four burner. But, the other point, he has been able to replace various parts because of the way Weber supplies all these parts. Easy to keep it up when needed.

I also have a Weber propane down at the lake, its 15 years old and still kicking! It’s at the lake because I built an outdoor cooking area and have a built in Bull grill now.

There are plenty others, but what is your budget? And what are you looking for in a grill? 4 burner, side burner? Rotisserie? Searing station?

I’m also going to recommend you check out Amazingribs.com due to the large number of grill reviews they have on completed on their site. It may help you in your decision.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »

I don't believe you can ever have too many grills/smokers/cookers  ;D ;)

I have a Char-Broil gasser that is pushing 10+ years old.  I use it fairly often just for the simplicity.  I was recently able to order some parts (burner covers, drip pan) to freshen it up a little.  Everything I needed was still available and in stock from Char-Broil.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
I just bought a 2 burner Char-broil infrared propane grill this spring, just to be able to grill.  Awful hard to get a good burger, steak or crisp chicken without one. Decided my Davy Crockett pellet grill just was not worth the effort.
Of course I'm going to keep using my #3 or #1 for all smoke/long cooks.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
I have a Ducane and it is used all year long.   I got my son a 3 burner Bull grill a few years ago and he uses it weekly. A very good grill but not in the high end category. I have seen the Lion Grills at a shop in Phoenix and they are of a very high quality. The burners look like they will never burn out. I would call them very much upscale and if you have the funds....

As a point of reference my Ducane was built by Twin Eagles and should last a lifetime. I would put Lion in the same category. I also put Lynx in this high end box.  Check reviews of those in your price range.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

dcbt

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 07:03:21 AM »
Similar to Jeremy, I've had my Weber gas three-burner grill since 2006 without a single problem.  We moved houses in 2018, and the new house had a five-burner built-in grill but I kept the Weber as well and still fire it up every week or two (in addition to weekly use of the built-in.)  Occasionally I'll have both going at the same time if we have enough guests (pre-Covid of course!)  I'll be a Weber customer for life should I ever need additional products...
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

prudentsmoker

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 07:19:54 AM »
Thanks so much everybody!!! I am going to get one, but still going to wait and see what the Labor Day sales have.
Brian from Wichita

Smokin Jon

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
I have a 15-20 year old Weber Genesis Silver B.  It has stainless flavorizer bars and Stainless grates.  I use it virtually every weekend except when I use my Smokin-it 3D, which is not as often.  The igniter wore out and I've had to replace the burners once over this period of time.  Otherwise it is flawless.  Love it.  In fact, I've owned a LOT of grills and smokers over the last 20 years and the Weber is the only one i've kept for over 5 years.  I'm hoping my Smokin-it 3D becomes my second long term cooking equipment. 

lcdearman

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »
I’ve got a Weber Spirit II 210. It is a small 2 burner and I didn’t have much room when I bought it. It replaced my 10 year old Weber Q, which worked fine, I just wanted something bigger. I think Weber has a good product at a good price point.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

Norwester

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
I've got a Spirit 2 210 also. I think its 8-9 yrs old. I just replaced the "flavor bars" but everything else is original and still in good shape.
Jeff from central Oregon