Author Topic: Let the seasoning begin, and ash  (Read 6831 times)

NJFoodFreak

• Rich , model #2
Let the seasoning begin, and ash
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »
Good morning everyone. I received my #2 yesterday and set it all up. Put three pieces of the wood into it , as instructed on here and turned it up to 259. After 10 minutes or so I had smoke coming out and it smelled pretty good. I let it run for four hours and now my question. As you can see, the wood completely burned down to a Very fine ash. Should I have inserted the chip screen under it, or should I do so in the future. Do you think the wood burned? The thing is, there is no way for me to tell by the ash left over where the hot spot is on my burner. And also, should I season the smoker again, or just dive right into using it? And, it is supposed to rain out my way this week. Can I use this smoker uncovered in the rain?
Thank you for your insight and feedback! In good health.
Rich
The main ingredient is love. Eat in good health.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Let the seasoning begin, and ash
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
Looks good to me. No chip screen needed unless using chips. Next step is to smoke something. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
My opinion will differ.  I think you had combustion to get that fine of ash.  Make your first smoke something inexpensive like a whole chicken. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
It is very rare when I don't get all ash. I have never worried about it either. I just consider it it as part of the process.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »
You are overthinking a simple process. Don't worry about what the wood looks like after the seasoning process. It's appearance is basically meaningless. It's an empty smoker. There is no heat sink (meat etc) to mimic an actual smoking session. It's not any kind of test of smoking. You are seasoning the smoker. Put some meat in there, and get smoking.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
Yeah, just jump in and start using it.  Like a piece of cast-iron, the initial seasoning is just there to get rid of machine oils and other stuff that give unpleasant flavors/smells and that you don't want on your food.  Beyond that, every time you use the smoker the seasoning will get a little bit better.

And also, should I season the smoker again, or just dive right into using it?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
Start smoking and just enjoy some good food. I definitely recommend starting out with some forgiving cuts like ribs or a pork butt. The following is from an old post that will provide you a basic checklist. Have Fun and Relax!!

Your mind is spinning 100 MPH....slow down and breathe!  lol!  We've all been there - the anticipation, and so many unanswered questions!  Your plan of an early morning start is fine.  If I'm doing an 8 lb butt for dinner, I'll get up and start it around 3-4 a.m. and go back to bed!  Get the smoker prep'd the night before (foil, wood), make sure to poke a hole in the bottom foil for the drain/air hole (learned this the hard way once), and get your kitchen ready to put the butt on a shelf and in the smoker.  I actually have a little checklist for those early wake up starts, so my foggy head doesn't forget anything:

♦  Foil in smoker
♦  Hole in bottom
♦  Wood
♦  Water pan with apple juice
♦  Meat in the smoker & temp set

This is how simple it is.  Just put it on early, like you thought above, set the temp and go back to bed.  Trust me, it will not burn or get done before you get up. ;)

Once you do this a time or two, you'll see how easy smokes are in these smokers! 

David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.