Author Topic: Auber WSD-1503CPH PID  (Read 2364 times)

Suzanne

Auber WSD-1503CPH PID
« on: December 01, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »
Hey everyone!  Just ordered #1 and researching all the must haves.  Seems as though everyone is big on the Auber device.  Is this better than a meat probe my brother uses ?
https://www.amazon.com/CAPPEC-Universal-Thermometer-Temperature-Readings/dp/B01MTWDVHX/ref=pd_bxgy_79_img_2/131-9756310-9771318?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MTWDVHX&pd_rd_r=710e2a77-892c-4f14-8c62-21ba354549e2&pd_rd_w=R8HQW&pd_rd_wg=5YEI1&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=ZBYQGCCGKMBA35EC82X1&psc=1&refRID=ZBYQGCCGKMBA35EC82X1

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Auber WSD-1503CPH PID
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 11:04:26 PM »
The Auber is a PID and will, properly used, controls your smoker temperature very accurately. I would suggest downloading the manual for the Auber you are looking at and reading it thoroughly so you have a good understanding of it's capabilities. And the Auber, is not a necessity; it is a nice to have.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:01:21 AM »
Hey everyone!  Just ordered #1 and researching all the must haves.  Seems as though everyone is big on the Auber device.  Is this better than a meat probe my brother uses ?

I hardly consider it a requirement...  the 'D' models of the various Smokin-It smokers simply have the Auber controller 'built in'.  I started with the #2 that did not have it and now have the 3DW, which does.  I would be perfectly happy with the #3 that would not have it.  There are precious few cases where it's a requirement and plenty of cases where it actually greatly complicates things instead of making anything easier.

All of that said, you do want a good thermometer of some kind and I'd recommend it have at least 2 probes.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

lgboro

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 07:06:49 AM »
I new here too but use several temperature devises by Thermowerks and have for several years now.  I cook everything I cook measuring temps be it in the smoker, grill, oven or stovetop.  Not sure I could go by to guessing again.
Larry from Eastern NC
Retired 1/2 time camper
SmokinIt #1 Smoker
Numerous grills
Outside Kitchen

Glock_21

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »

I hardly consider it a requirement...  the 'D' models of the various Smokin-It smokers simply have the Auber controller 'built in'.  I started with the #2 that did not have it and now have the 3DW, which does.  I would be perfectly happy with the #3 that would not have it.  There are precious few cases where it's a requirement and plenty of cases where it actually greatly complicates things instead of making anything easier.

All of that said, you do want a good thermometer of some kind and I'd recommend it have at least 2 probes.

^^^  This ^^^

Get a good thermometer with a couple remote probes and you will be good.

I've been using an analog #3 for years.  I've thought about adding the Auber unit a couple times, never did.  The biggest perk to the Auber that I see is being able to go a little higher with the temperature.  If I smoked a lot of poultry then I might go digital. 
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

birdchaser

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
I new here too but use several temperature devises by Thermowerks and have for several years now.  I cook everything I cook measuring temps be it in the smoker, grill, oven or stovetop.  Not sure I could go by to guessing again.
What he said. Got Maverick ET-732. Love it 8)
Smokin-it#1, WSM22.5, Weber kettle 22.5, Smoke hollow vertical charcoal smoker, Amazn pellet smoker. Smokehouse for cold smokin bacon.