Author Topic: breaking in #1  (Read 2766 times)

birdchaser

breaking in #1
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:16:22 PM »
Got my #1 today. Two days sooner than they said. Great since I need to do boss's present.Packed excelent. Thought it would be damaged after seeing corners of box.  Show in another post. Breaking in as they say. Got up to 371. Ambient temp at 44*. Got to be less now at 7pm. Put Maverick ET-732 probe in there. Set probe far down at first. Temp Rised quickly. Moved probe up towards top. Temps lowered at firs as expected. Spiked up to 373 after. Opened door as I would most smokers to lower temp, WOOF! I guess the oxogen hit wood an ignited it. Anywho, 2 1/2 hrs later, 288*. Thinking this could be good to get higher, just adjust temp gauge.
Smokin-it#1, WSM22.5, Weber kettle 22.5, Smoke hollow vertical charcoal smoker, Amazn pellet smoker. Smokehouse for cold smokin bacon.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: breaking in #1
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »
Got a first smoke planned?  Ribs are always a safe smoke, and tasty.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 12:56:35 AM »
Welcome to the family... 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

birdchaser

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 09:43:06 AM »
Plan on pork butt. Got 3 in freezer. One reason I got this was the temp range, so i can do sausage, not to mention 3 yr. warranty.
Smokin-it#1, WSM22.5, Weber kettle 22.5, Smoke hollow vertical charcoal smoker, Amazn pellet smoker. Smokehouse for cold smokin bacon.

birdchaser

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
Welcome to the family...
Thanks Larry. Is that not unusual for temps to grt that high? It won't hurt it inyour opinion?

birdchaser

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
Actually, got a pork butt bacon to do at 200*. Will post pics later. Two Pounds pork butt, 1/3c molasses,3/4c dark brown sugar,1/4 c kosher salt, 2tbls. liquid smoke, 1tbls each onion, garlic powder. One tsp cure #2. Put in one gallon bag for 2 weeks, turning over each day. After 2 weeks Pull out and soak in water for two hrs. Let dry for 2hrs. or I do overnight, Don't matter, then smoke at 200* till internal temp reaches 140*. Pull

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »
In any empty smoker the temps can do some wild things, so nothing to worry about.  I will suggest to you strongly now, set the temp you want, put some probes into whatever you're smoking to check the internal temp, and never, ever, measure the box temp.  Measuring the box temp will just drive you crazy and at the end of the day it will make zero difference.  (The only caveat is that it is *possible* for an element or rheostat problem, but those are rare and not really what we're talking about.)

Throw a double thick piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of your smoke box and punch out small holes than the stock ones.  This has always prevented my wood from catching on fire which is when most people see a temperature spike.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 11:25:33 PM »
Just took a look at you owner locator map Larry.  Hadn't done that in a while.  Always grateful that you took the time to put it together.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus