Author Topic: Plug It - Things That Go Bump In The Night  (Read 2157 times)

tomd8

Plug It - Things That Go Bump In The Night
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:45:41 PM »
I may be the only one who worries about this but I plug the bottom drain hole and the top exhaust to prevent ants, spiders, etc. from getting inside after being attracted by smell or leftover grease.  I did this with my last smoker and I started doing it on the SI.  On the SI I use rolled up aluminum foil to plug the bottom and top holes. Since this is being left outside in a greenhouse there are plenty of critters roaming the ground.  Unlike my grill which has a flame and burns off anything low temps don't.  Am I alone in this?
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Plug It - Things That Go Bump In The Night
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
You are not the only one.  A couple of years ago I spotted mouse droppings in my older cookshack.  After a thorough cleaning of scraping and oven cleaner, I used a short but heavy bolt and a washer to plug the hole when the smoker is not in use.  The washer was oversized and allowed me to bend it to fit the profile of the smoker floor pan and still slide over the bolt.  JB Weld secured the washer to the bolt and filled in the gap between bolt head and the bent washer. Problem solved.  Works well on the SI smokers too.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

tomd8

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 07:58:54 AM »
Hi Dave - I like that idea of using a fender washer with a bolt instead of my aluminum foil plug.  Thank you for that.
Tom from New York

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
I am going to say this anyway:  Do not forget to remove the plug before using.  Don't even think about asking why!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Limey

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »
I find that a plastic wine cork works perfectly for the top hole.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

tomd8

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
Dave - Of course.   I do make my foil plug long which sticks well below the bottom and prevents the drip pan from sliding in.  I did that accidentally but it's an immediate reminder so I may try to incorporate that same thing.  A long bolt from the bottom with a stop to keep part sticking down along with the formed washer from the top with a wing nut may do the trick.

Limey - That's a good idea as well for the top.  Do you think a mouse could chew through it and fit through the top hole?

Th last thing I want are bugs falling into my smoking food.
Tom from New York