Author Topic: Fireboard Food Probes  (Read 4390 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Fireboard Food Probes
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
I'm ordering the base model Fireboard, and adding a couple more food probes. They do not specify which kind of food probe comes with the base model. For my additional food probes, I have to choose from the following, both are the same price. What are the differences between the Thermistor and the RTD? Seems odd that the one with the wider temperature range is the same price. I don't see why I would ever need that temperature range. Maybe there are some disadvantages to that probe.

SF311T: Probe type: 100K Thermistor. Probe Temperature Range: 0 to 572°F (-18 to 300°C). Specifications: 5 in. long probe, 90° angle, 4mm. diameter.

SF311: Probe type: RTD PT-100 Class A. Probe Temperature Range: -58 to 716°F (-50 to 380°C). Specifications: 5 in. long probe, 90° angle, 4mm. diameter.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Fireboard Food Probes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
Kari - See if this link helps you in your decision. https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2012/mar/selecting-a-thermistor-or-rtd
Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:47:40 PM »
Kari,
I mention this as I had to really hunt and only after asking them about the differences did I find it on the website, not attempting to be rude.
Hope this helps you out. You will like it.

if you go to the Fireboard.com and search..."Probe Types"
You will come across this...and click on "here" it will take you to a chart and a good explanation of the different benefits to each.

FireBoard supports multiple sensor types which provide extreme flexibility. Read more about the differences in the types of probes here.
100K Thermistors - key advantage: fast response time (shipped standard with kits as of October 2016)
RTD PT-100s - key advantage: wider temperature range (very cold and hot)
10K Thermistors - key advantage: cold storage tracking and easily allows long cable runs for commercial installations
A more technical article regarding the differences between Thermistors and RTDs is available here.
Probe Types can be defined in the mobile app under Devices > Advanced Settings > Probe Configuration.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:59:17 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
Thanks all. Fun reading! ::) I will be going with the 100K Thermistor probes, which is what comes standard with the current Fireboard.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:47:49 AM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
That's what I would order, Kari.  They are really good probes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »
I've used both probe types and prefer the 100K Thermistors as they are less "temperamental" IME.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Ohio1956

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »
What do you think of this system?
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
I'm very happy with it. It's pricey, but high quality probes, Wifi, graphing, and works just like it's supposed to. It's nice not to have to deal with bluetooth drops anymore.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide