Author Topic: Lightly smoked / baked salmon recommendations  (Read 2817 times)

Master-Hack

• City Worker-Part of the problem, not the solution
Lightly smoked / baked salmon recommendations
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »
Since I work all day, ribs or boston butt would be hard to get smoked in time for dinner before midnight.  Was thinking about a quick smoke on some king salmon fillets and then finishing them off in the oven.  I did this once before on my pellet grill (by accident – long story).  The end result was a mildly smoked fillet but had the finish between smoked and grilled.  Smokey but firm and moist.  It was the best salmon I had ever eaten. 

Trying this tonight.  Thought I would use ¼ cup of alder chips at 225 for about 45 minutes or until the internal temp was about 120.  Then put it in the oven at 350 until internal temp was about 145.  I’m hoping this will end with similar results.  Serving with hollandaise and grilled asparagus and whatever white wine we have on the shelf.

Any input on smoker time & temp or amount of chips would be appreciated.
Lee from Boise
Weber Genesis - Sold in garage sale
Weber Smokey Mountain - loaned out & never returned
2 Weber Simpsons 10th Anniversary - still boxed
Louisiana Grills Little Louie - go to grill
Weber 22.5 Charcoal - wife's go to grill
Masterbuilt 30 - converted to dehydrator
SI 2 - getting started

JustChillin

Re: Lightly smoked / baked salmon recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »
I just saw your post. I was planning to grill or bake some salmon for dinner tonight. I think I will give your method a try.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Lightly smoked / baked salmon recommendations
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
While virtually every recipe/instruction I've seen for the SI says not to pre-heat, I have a friend that has what is probably an original model #1 who gave me the following instructions when I made salmon for New Years and it came out excellent!

* Put in a couple ounces of soaked chip or block fruit wood
* Turn the smoker on and let it get up to temp and smoking
* Put the salmon on the top rack for 35-40 minutes

Take care to not overcook... even 5 minutes over can dry it out.  The instructions were for ~ 3 pounds of salmon.  Thinner pieces and/or individual slabs need less time.

I did wash/dry my salmon first, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then seasoned.  It was excellent.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...