Author Topic: Super Simple Smoked Salmon  (Read 14490 times)

Tyarra

Super Simple Smoked Salmon
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
For our second smoke with our #2 ... Salmon!

Since we come from 'log smoking', for our first couple of smokes, we decided that we needed to stick pretty close to what we were familiar with, so neither the pork roast/s nor the salmon were brined. 

I checked out our Jamison & Jamison books (Smoke & Spice and Sublime Smoke) for ideas as well as checking the forums here on smoking salmon.  I picked up a full filet at the supermarket the other day, a 2.5 pound filet of Atlantic farm raised variety.

So, while I got ideas and thoughts and tips, I didn't actually follow anyone's recipe.  This is what we did:

Prepped salmon by cutting it half, so that it would fit on the rack, and spiced it with a combination of salt and various peppers, freshly grinding it over the entire non-skin surface.   Skin was still intact, and is what held it together once it was cooked.  Sprayed the rack with cooking spray, and arranged the salmon on the rack, such that it wasn't too likely to fall through.  We will probably want a frogmat, so that's something to add to the list of equipment we need. :)

2.5 ounces of Apple wood was placed in the smokebox, a tin of apple juice set on the floor.  Foil was deployed in the standard way.

Probe was added to the thickest piece of salmon, target temperature was set for 145° F.   The smoker itself was set to ~190° F.

The sensor went off after about an hour, and we had ourselves the best-tasting salmon we have ever  had.  We're not planning on messing with success!

Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Super Simple Smoked Salmon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
Looks good, seafood always turns out well (the few times) I try it. 

There are lots of mats out there to try. 

I don't have any yet but many here try this I believe.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=46

When I do holiday smoked nuts again, I'll need some more mats. 

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Hog Wild

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:13:02 PM »
This was our first time ever smoking salmon, so I really didn't know what to expect.   What we got was possibly the best fish I have ever put in my mouth.
Hopefully, I won't forget to put the drip pan in place next time. Oops. ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:15:25 PM by Hog Wild »
Scott, from north Texas

es1025

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
I am going to try this recipe tomorrow night for dinner. I like the simplicity.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
I have seen a post here about getting cookie sheet cooler at Bass Pro. or Midland hardware that fits the #3 just not quite as long. But, am sure with a little searching could find one for the other smokers that would work. They look just like the seafood racks that steve sells.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Tyarra

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 04:49:09 AM »
I got the mats from the link that John posted - They were cut to size, so when I did this the next time, I had the mats, and they work beautifully.  I've even considered using them all the time, since they clean up so well. :P
Leah from North Texas
--
    - tee-shirt

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »
Hey Leah thanks for the tip was wondering how they would clean up. Or if once used was throw away. Where did you purchase yours if you don't mind my asking?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Tyarra

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
I got them from the link that John provided:

They supposedly come in two widths - I don't remember the other width, but at the time, they only had the 24" wide - you then order it by the foot.  It comes in black and tan ... I ordered 3 feet of both, got a discount for being a new customer, and possibly another discount ... I got out of there for under $30, when all was said and done.  It is easily cut to size, and I've got 4 mats that fit the smoker shelves, and more mat material left over - I was thinking about using it in the oven as well, but haven't cut those yet.
Leah from North Texas
--
    - tee-shirt

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
I got them from the link that John provided:

They supposedly come in two widths - I don't remember the other width, but at the time, they only had the 24" wide - you then order it by the foot.  It comes in black and tan ... I ordered 3 feet of both, got a discount for being a new customer, and possibly another discount ... I got out of there for under $30, when all was said and done.  It is easily cut to size, and I've got 4 mats that fit the smoker shelves, and more mat material left over - I was thinking about using it in the oven as well, but haven't cut those yet.

Thanks Leah, and you can use more than once? I assume you just clean in soap and water?

Tyarra

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:54:38 PM »
Soap and water, and then I curled the one I used between the uprights on the top rack of the dishwasher.  Came out clean as a whistle!  Very flexible, I think it's teflon coated fiberglas.
Leah from North Texas
--
    - tee-shirt

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:05:50 AM »
Thanks Leah

es1025

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
Leah
I smoked a 3.5# filet, cut in half, smoked at 190 and it took almost three hours. The fish was perfect. Did yours really take an hour?
Ed from Northern NJ

Tyarra

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 05:39:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure that it was right at an hour.   Though, the one we did later took closer to 1-1/2 hours.  But, my first one was only about 2-1/2 pounds, and was cut in half.  It might also have been thinner, as that will make a difference as well.  I think the Atlantic version is a slimmer fish than the ones from the Pacific, so if you were doing one of those that could account for it, as well.

Pure speculations on my part.  But my first fish only took about an hour, which did surprise me.  But, it was done, but not too done, and not still raw.  And delicious!
Leah from North Texas
--
    - tee-shirt

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it was right at an hour.   Though, the one we did later took closer to 1-1/2 hours.  But, my first one was only about 2-1/2 pounds, and was cut in half.  It might also have been thinner, as that will make a difference as well.  I think the Atlantic version is a slimmer fish than the ones from the Pacific, so if you were doing one of those that could account for it, as well.

Pure speculations on my part.  But my first fish only took about an hour, which did surprise me.  But, it was done, but not too done, and not still raw.  And delicious!
I think Leah is pretty close on her analysis....I smoked 1.75# of Norwegian salmon (Atlantic) cut into 2 pieces. The fillets are much thinner than other types. The smoke was at 175 with 2 ounces of Maple and water in a pan. Time to reach internal temp. of 145 was 1.25 hours.
As an aside...
The Salmon was rubbed with EVOO then sprinkled with Paul Prudhomme's salmon seasoning. Although this is made for the grill/oven it works well in the smoker. I then topped the salmon with 2 slices of lemon and away we went. I attribute the time difference to the temperature of the smoke. 
One other factor to consider with fish is freshness. Fresh is best, then frozen at sea and refrozen trails the pack. There is a difference!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

es1025

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
After reading numerous postings about hot smoking salmon Tyarra has the best temperature at 190.  Also, my wife had the salmon over a salad and said the smoke flavor intensified and was outstanding.  In conclusion, not all salmon are alike and they act just like pork, its not time its temperature. 
Ed from Northern NJ