Author Topic: Bella add on and Bark  (Read 3190 times)

iamimdoc

Bella add on and Bark
« on: May 27, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
My goal is better bark.  I ma happy with way my 3d Cooks in sense of food tastes good, can control things with the Auber device, construction quality, etc.

But, can't get great bark.

Does the Bella add on help for this issue?
Or are there any other suggestions as to how to get better bark?

Thanks

Lonzinomaker

Re: Bella add on and Bark
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »
I have only smoked cheese with my Bella, but don't think it would make any difference in bark.

I have heard that bark comes from adding some sugar. I use Memphis dust recipe and Dave's Famous Pork Rib Rub, they both have sugar and produce pretty good bark.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
Sugar in the rub can help, but not everything needs sugar when being smoked, so that doesn’t necessarily help. I also think smoke time can provide bark as well.

What kind of bark are you getting? And what are you trying to get better bark on? I haven’t had issues with getting back on pork butt and brisket, ribs it’s not bark, but building to a bark I guess.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

iamimdoc

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 08:33:09 PM »
Pork ribs and pork butt are main things I cook.  Taste is fine but just no dark bark.  Have dark color on the meat when cooked.

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:08:02 PM »
Ok. For ribs, I don’t really get bark, just the smoke color, or darkness that you mention.

For the pork butt, does the rub you are using have sugar? That will help. And another question, are you wrapping at any point during the smoke or just letting the butt go unwrapped until it’s ready/at final temp?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

iamimdoc

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
Rubs - no sugar but can add
Have tried wrapped and unwrapped - not sure  lot of difference

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
If you aren’t seeing much of a difference when wrapping, that could mean you are wrapping at the right time when the bark is set. If you were wrapping to early, then you wouldn’t get bark. So that’s a good thing.

Try some sugar, not a ton, here’s a link to a rub recipe I use for butts and ribs that is called Meathead’s Memphis Dust - it has some sugar in it and has a nice flavor profile for pork and chicken. See if that helps out on the bark and if you like the flavor it provides. But hopefully that will help out a bit and give you the bark you are looking for.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »
Bark comes mostly from the rub, mainly from the sugar but the other ingredients help.

Post your rub recipe, smoking time, temp, water pan....

You aren't giving enough information for analysis.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »
Pork Belly is spot on as usual. In addition,  air drying the protien prior to smoking helps. I usually brine then air dry for a day or 3 depending on the protien, then apply binder and rub just prior to  smoking. I don't, usually, brine ribs.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

iamimdoc

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
If sugar is important and realizing that what Aaron Franklin does in Austin (and others) is with a different machine/wood/etc - how does he get bark with salt and pepper rub only?

Not arguing, just trying to understand

Thanks

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
Sugar is important in a SI, they cook wet. The air in them, is far more moist than Franklin's big live fire reverse flow cookers.

My #3 cooks with a damp steamy air not found in the $20,00 Ole Hickory's at work. You can make really good BBQ in an SI, but it will not make BBQ like my Boss's Ole' Hickory's or Franklin's Big Smoker, they are a different beast.

So yea in an SI you are gonna need some sugar.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Franklin uses cider vinegar on his ribs as a spritz and then hits them with sauce, which will have brown sugar. The recipes mostly all have over a cup of brown sugar and he brushes multiple times during the cook. He also uses some type of red spice to help with color, like paprika. Photos in his book don’t show a thick, crusty bark on the ribs. Just a nice, reddish brown color to them with the salt and pepper rub standing out the most.

He doesn’t talk about his pork butt process in his book, so I’m not sure what that would look like. But, given he is spritzing, he is helping with the development of the bark. He does this with other types of meat, but none have a thick, crusty bark as well.

Do you have photos of what you are producing with your cooks to share with us?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

iamimdoc

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »
I did 6 racks last we,end.  I froze the two that were left over so. To best to photo but will take a pick next time out.

Appreciate all help and guidance you all have given 

barelfly

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
@iamimdoc

Here’s the bark on the butt I just pulled from the #3D. I used Oak Ridge BBQ’s Competition Beef & Pork Rub. I dry brined with salt yesterday for about 11 hours and added a slather of yellow mustard for the rub to stick to about two hours prior to smoke. I have started to smoke with a hotter temp, mainly because it cuts the time down dramatically. So, in the smoker at 250* with a slight ramp up of 150 for 45 minutes then to 250* until I pulled at 191*. I could have pulled the bone out when I checked, so knew it was done. No water pan on this cook. It’s now wrapped in foil and sitting in the cooler until it’s time to eat, probably 2-3 hours.

I’d consider this to be great bark, it’s consistent with what I’ve got on other cooks. I really do think the added sugar helps with forming the bark, perhaps the mustard slather helps with it some as well, that I don’t know.

But wanted to share my method to see if it helps you in your quest.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

iamimdoc

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »
I’d be happy with that bark.  I think I will copy what you did and see what happens. 

Can the rub be bought online

Similar results with ribs?

Does mustard impart any flavor?

What was weight of meat and how long did you cook at 250?

Have you been able to get similar results with brisket ?

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:55:50 PM by iamimdoc »