Author Topic: pork shoulder  (Read 2120 times)

dorian345

pork shoulder
« on: May 26, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
Quick question.. the guide on the #2 for pork butt is 225° for 1-2hrs a lb..and it says internal temp should be 190° if the internal temp hits 190° before the calculated time..is it done yet? If i want it to be juicy and pulled soft pork do i leave it til 190° or lower the temp on the smoker or? Im confused a bit

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: pork shoulder
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »
I would be very surprised if you hit 190 before 1 hour per pound on a butt.    If that happened to me, I would move the meat temp probe to be sure the temp was accurate.  Truth be told, I typically experience at least 1.5 hours per pound for a butt.

Instead of lowering the smoker temp, I would allow for at least one hour per pound, let the smoker go at 225 (I actually set closer to 235-240), and if the butt finishes sooner than expected, then take it off of the smoker, wrap in AL foil and put it in some towels in a cooler.   This will keep the meat warm for several hours until you are ready to pull it.

Actually, in planning your pulled pork project, factor in at least one additional hour for the finished butt to be wrapped and held in a cooler just to let the juices redistribute through the pork before you pull it.

Good luck with the smoke!  Let us know how you make out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dorian345

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
Its about 9lbs and its been in the smoker for 6 hours now and the internal temp is 170° ....that's why im confused but it seems that the internal temp is more important than how long it takes, is that correct?

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
Internal temp is a key guide on whether it is time to probe and see if it is done. Probe should go in without any resistance.
When mine are done, I wrap in foil, turn the heat down to 140 on smoker and let it sit there at least an hour and then pull.  Smoker makes a great warm box.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
Its about 9lbs and its been in the smoker for 6 hours now and the internal temp is 170° ....that's why im confused but it seems that the internal temp is more important than how long it takes, is that correct?

You are in the stall. When it slowly climbs out, and finally reaches 190, just double check the temp in a couple of other areas.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

dorian345

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »
thanks! I think your right..it stalled at 170 and took maybe an hour or so to hit 172 lol

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:26:56 PM »
Several years ago, I did a small brisket that stalled and maybe 4 hours later was almost 176/177 (memory is bad). That was at the 14 hour mark + -.  I probed several places with a remote and the meat was actually in the high 190's. I figured the probe was sitting in an empty pocket that once had fat and was no longer giving a true reading.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

dorian345

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:26:27 AM »
WOW the shoulder looks amazing. Didn't even have time to take a pic..currently sitting in foil double wrapped in a cooler with towels..looks unreal!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 06:21:24 AM »
Sounds like a winner!   Let us know what you think of the pulled pork.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
Temp matters less than texture. Can you pull the bone out with minimal effort? No, then it needs to cook more.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »
Love seeing successful cooks posted on the board! Congrats! Pulled pork is wonderful!

How are you going to serve? What sides? Any type of sauces? And how about the rub you used? Let’s hear about it! :)
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear