Author Topic: New #2 Owner  (Read 1838 times)

michaelr

New #2 Owner
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »
I am a new #2 owner. Based on the feedback here, I decided to go with the analog model and to simply trust that any temp swings will average out. The less I know, the less I worry. :)

Yesterday was the first time that I used it to cook for other people doing St. Louis style ribs. After some reading around the forum, I settle on this procedure. I seasoned the ribs the night before. They went into the smoker at 11 AM. I used two hickory chunks that came with the smoker. The recommended time is 5h - 7h. My audience does not appreciate ribs with a bite, so I decided to go the full 7h. I left the box alone until 6 PM with no temperature monitoring or fiddling of any kind. At 6 PM the ribs were pulled. The bark was spot on & cooked to falling off the bone. They were a touch to tender for my taste, but to everyone else they were perfect. This is what counts in the end. Clean up took about 5 minutes of removing and replacing the aluminum foil for the next cook. I left the grates up to the dishwasher. I don't see how it could be any easier.

I was considering a pellet smoker or a Bradley but I am glad that I settled on this. The smoker creates excellent with minimal fuss.
Smokin-it #2
Summerset Sizzler Pro 32

Lonzinomaker

Re: New #2 Owner
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
Congrats on new smoker and succesfull first smoke.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
I am a new #2 owner. Based on the feedback here, I decided to go with the analog model and to simply trust that any temp swings will average out. The less I know, the less I worry. :)

Yesterday was the first time that I used it to cook for other people doing St. Louis style ribs. After some reading around the forum, I settle on this procedure. I seasoned the ribs the night before. They went into the smoker at 11 AM. I used two hickory chunks that came with the smoker. The recommended time is 5h - 7h. My audience does not appreciate ribs with a bite, so I decided to go the full 7h. I left the box alone until 6 PM with no temperature monitoring or fiddling of any kind. At 6 PM the ribs were pulled. The bark was spot on & cooked to falling off the bone. They were a touch to tender for my taste, but to everyone else they were perfect. This is what counts in the end. Clean up took about 5 minutes of removing and replacing the aluminum foil for the next cook. I left the grates up to the dishwasher. I don't see how it could be any easier.

I was considering a pellet smoker or a Bradley but I am glad that I settled on this. The smoker creates excellent with minimal fuss.

These smokers a simple and bullet proof. And the results are always great.  Congrats on the cook!  And welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:16:57 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »
I have had a #2 analog for about fours years and love it. The temps swings have never been a problem and I love the simplicity. Fewer things to break! I did purchase an Auber for smoking fish but haven't used it in years. IMO, the analog smokers are built like tanks and they produce some great food. Enjoy your new smoker.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

michaelr

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »
Thank you for the welcome. I am going to try the flat part of the brisket next.
Smokin-it #2
Summerset Sizzler Pro 32

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:46:33 PM »
Welcome and glad to hear the first cook for friends went well! That’s the best part of cooking, having others enjoy the food you serve!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:46:12 AM »
Welcome from Delaware!   I have a #2 analog as well, and it works great!  I am glad to hear that you first smoke was a success.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 01:12:07 AM »
Welcome to the family, Michael!  You made a great choice... I started with the #2 and loved it.  If I were starting over from scratch I'd do the #3, but was never, ever unhappy with the #2.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Timinator

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
Be glad you didn't go with a pellet smoker.  They are a PITA, need constant cleaning and vacuuming, are prone to huge temperature swings, the pellets need to be kept dry, you can't smoke at low temps for long times without full smoke constantly, which for things like jerky, add's too much smoke.   I've had one, and I'm not a fan.