Author Topic: TN Hickory, Red Oak, White Oak ..... Does region matter ?  (Read 1968 times)

Elliottbte

TN Hickory, Red Oak, White Oak ..... Does region matter ?
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
When I built a home in Southeast TN, I had to remove a lot of trees.  I saved large branches (~6" diameter) of Hickory, White Oak, and Red Oak.  I used a mitre box to cut large 2-3" disks, and then trimmed the edges to get heartwood chunks.  They have been aging in my air conditioned workshop (40-60% relative humidity) for about 6 months.  I do not know the moisture % but I believe they look ready for smoking.

After all this prep work, I am wondering if the smoke from these SE TN woods will be different from wood from other regions.  I've been reading about the wood from Smokinilicious and wonder whether I should just go that route instead of making my own chunks. 

Any thoughts?   
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: TN Hickory, Red Oak, White Oak ..... Does region matter ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
I would smoke what you have -- don't let that hard work go to waste!    I actually did something similar a couple of years ago when I have pieces of cherry wood from a tree in my front yard.   I kept sawing off pieces and using them for smoking, but eventually the wood just dried out too much as was catching on fire in the smokebox.  That's when I moved to MGW for wood.   

As for similarity, I can say that the cherry wood from my front yard produced a smoke smell that was essentially the same as the cherry wood that I get from MGW, so your wood may be very similar as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2