Author Topic: Smoked Cornish Game Hens  (Read 4778 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Smoked Cornish Game Hens
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:01:03 AM »
Another little experiment ... brined three Cornish Game Hens in a simple poultry brine (kosher salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, black pepper) for five hours in the refrigerator.  A quick slather of garlic-infused olive oil, a liberal sprinkling of the homemade chicken rub I used on some chicken legs, and then into the Smokin-It #3 for 2.25 hours at 250 over oak and pecan until the thigh meat hit 162.

The flavor was great and the skin crisp enough to not need a run through the oven.  I served it with my Molasses BBQ sauce but the chicken (even the breast meat) was so ridiculously juicy from the brine that it wasn't really needed.

All in all, I think next time I'll brine them an hour or so longer but beyond that a real success, and possibly back the heat down to 235-240 for a slightly longer smoke to pick up a bit more pecan flavor.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked Cornish Game Hens
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Those birds look awesome!

Poultry is one of my favorite smoked foods. They look really moist.

So happy to see some new posts from you Joe. You are always so innovative.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Great looking little yard birds there, Joe!  Brined poultry is absolutely the best.  Let me also add how happy I am to see new recipes from you! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Lyles Dad

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
New to the smoker so every meal is an experiment. I marinated the hens in an apple juice brine overnight. After rinsing the brine and drying, rubbed a bit of olive oil on the skin and rubbed in a mix of sage, rosemary and black pepper. Stuffed the cavity with 1/2 apple and wrapped the birds in bacon. Hickory smoked over a pan of apple juice at low temp - 165 - for 6 hours until the interior temp hit 165. Let the birds rest 15 minutes and enjoyed over a bed of wild rice. Sweet, tender and juicy.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
Nice Job Lyle's Dad. Sounds like it was a successful smoke.

It looks like this was your first post, so I would encourage you to start a new thread in the Introductions section and tell us a little bit about yourself. Also, adding your name in your signature line let's us know who we are talking to. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.