Author Topic: First smoke  (Read 5453 times)

mhox

First smoke
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
I just got the #1 this week and smoked for the first time on it . It's a nice little unit and think I'll be able to do all I need on it . I've smoked before but yesterday was the first time for Mac n cheese and bone in chicken breast . Everybody liked it but I thought I cooked the chicken a little too long , Mac n cheese was good but maybe need to add more liquid to recipe, think it was a bit dry .

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: First smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
Hey mhox, welcome to the forum.  That is an interesting first smoke. I am curious of your preparation and recipe for the Mac and cheese, smoker temp setting , amount and type of wood used, etc.

As well, post your name and location and head over to the introduction section so we can all get to know our newest member and friend.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
Congrats on the new Little Guy!  Looks like your setup was good!

Details on your prep and method help us to help you.  Did you brine your chicken?  What temp did you smoke it to (internal)?  Did you use a remote thermometer to monitor the meat temp?  The more we know, the quicker we can help you master that little beauty!

Head over to the Introductions section, and let us know about you! :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
I was thinking "That's some HUGE Chicken!" Then I realized my perspective is off, I use a #3.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »
I have prepared smoked mac and cheese three times now to rave reviews.  I use a recipe found on the Jeff Phillips site, and wrote about it in this forum post:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1763.0

Try this one out...nice and creamy and great smoke flavor.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
I have prepared smoked mac and cheese three times now to rave reviews.  I use a recipe found on the Jeff Phillips site, and wrote about it in this forum post:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1763.0

Try this one out...nice and creamy and great smoke flavor.  Cheers

Great! I reviewed the Jeff Phillips Mac & Cheese link. I think that's gonna happen here soon. I may have to get some pulled pork to dollup on top as well!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
Be sure to show us some pics, and the review, Tman! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »
I don't know what it is about Jeff Phillips mac & cheese recipe, but I get rave reviews every time I serve it, and very little left overs!   I think you will like it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:45:04 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
Jeffs Mac & Cheese is great! Very cheesy and creamy. It's an easy recipe and makes a lot. I made the crunchy bacon on top recipe the other day and it was even better. It will dry out if overcooked so you have to check after about 1-1/2 hours. Mine takes a bit under 2 hours at 235 degrees.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:48:25 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
That's what folks tell me too...it's the most creamy M&C that they have had.   People also rave about the crumbled bacon on top too.  I usually let mine go 2 hours at 235-240F and that gives it a nice smoky flavor. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
Ok, so I bought Jeff's rub and sauce recipes. I have the ribs in the fridge and most of the ingredients for the mac and cheese. I plan to start smoking tomorrow morning around 10 or 11am as we have dinner guests for the ribs and mac and cheese that I'm making.

For the ribs is it ok to put on the mustard and rub tonight and wrap them in saran wrap overnight? Do I need to do anything else with them tomorrow (like add more rub) before they hit the smoker? Also, I plan to smoke with some hickory and peach, does this sound reasonable (~4oz)? I am thinking cutting the racks in half, thick baby backs on bottom, thinner in middle, and mac and cheese on the very top (all at 225 degrees)?  Smoking the mac and cheese for 2-3 hours and then removing. Should I refrigerate the mac and cheese after smoking until dinner or keep it warm for ~3-4 hours in a cooler/oven? Should I bother with a meat thermometer in the baby back? I'll add a beer to mini loaf to keep moisture up.

Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 06:17:01 PM »
Mustard and rub tonight.

No thermometer in ribs in the smoker, not needed.

Add rub / more tomorrow if you missed some spots. 

Cook the mac n cheese for 4 hours, pull when you check ribs.  Microwave to re-heat, it will sit fine 

Keep wood less than 4 oz for total smoke.  230 or 225 deg will be fine

CHeck ribs after 4 1/2 to 5 hours, add sauce if you like for the rest. 

Hope that helps
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA