Author Topic: 3D use in the rain?  (Read 3006 times)

jpowell

• facebook
3D use in the rain?
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:33:18 PM »
I saw another thread about smoking in the rain, but it was mainly referencing the non-digital smokers.

I put a piece of cling-wrap over my auber controller while I'm smoking my 1st brisket as there's a chance of rain in the forecast.  Just curious if that's necessary for the units with built-in auber.

Here's my BBQ cam so I can monitor the auber and maverick temps from work.
The camera doesn't like the refresh rate of the LEDs on the auber, but watching the video feed you can make out the readings.
 http://take.ms/URBmD

Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 3D use in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
That is a good idea on the Cling wrap. That is pretty sticky stuff.

Cool BBQ Cam too!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
I should have cleaned the surface of the 3D a little before the cling-wrap to give it some more stick.
Planning to head home when the probes read 190IT
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
An ounce of prevention, Jason...  While the D-model controllers are water-resistant, none of the smokers are waterproof!  If you have the meat probe plugged in, you could potentially get water in the port.  I think you are right on track.  Love the remote camera idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
Thanks DM. I'll continue the cling-wrap and maybe add a little painters tape for good measure against wind.
The remote camera worked great! I was able to check up on the temps remotely. Good peace of mind since my wife was in and out of the house today.
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:35:25 PM »
Again, great solution to a problem, Jason!  A little prevention goes a long way toward the life of any appliance!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!