Author Topic: Baby back, cook time  (Read 2288 times)

bogeyjim

Baby back, cook time
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
Will be doing baby backs for a family BBQ this weekend.  First time I will be filling my #2 (3 half racks on each of the 4 shelves).

Will this affect the cook time with the box full, or do I open up and check at about the 4 1/2 hour mark as usual ?
Jim in The Granite State

kona77

Re: Baby back, cook time
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
 I have a 3-D and have filled two racks with ribs with no noticeable difference in smoke times.
Usually takes 4.5-5 hours. Have not filled all 4 racks yet but checking them at 4- 4.5 hours and then adjusting
if needed makes sense. Maybe another member can confirm their process with a full smoker of ribs.
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
I’ve filled my 3D, two full racks on each shelf, 4 total. I think they cooked same time as other smaller cooks. But, maybe add a little cushion of time just in case. Ribs are great for wrapping and holding in a cooler for a period of time if needed.

Have fun with that cook! Always fun to fill up the smoker and make full, happy bellies!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
As long as the ribs are not crowded and there is room for heat and smoke to circulate, you will be fine.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bogeyjim

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
Hey Sarge,

I cut all ribs in half to fit on the shelves (3 half racks per shelf).  And I alternated the pattern on the shelves every other shelf.  I put the thicker ends of the ribs on the bottom two shelves.  And I did not press all the ribs together, I tried to leave space for heat and smoke to circulate around the meat.

Set the smoker for 225, I'm an hour in and the interior temp. Has only reached 200 degrees (my Smoke interior temp probe is clipped to the uppermost shelf).  I'd have to get real lucky to get a real time response, but for the next time....  I'm assuming the mass of meat in the smoker is preventing the heat from getting to the upper portions of the smoker?

Not sure if I should bump the heat up, as I don't want to overcook the ribs at the bottom.  Check at 4 1/2 hours and pull bottom ribs if done, and leave top ribs (and lower the shelves) to make sure they're cooked?
Jim in The Granite State

bogeyjim

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 08:24:57 AM »
Well, lots of worrying for nothing.  Checked the ribs at 5 hours, 15 minutes, and the half racks were cracking open when grabbed with the tongs.

Only disappointment was very little bark from the Memphis Dust rub.  I put it on sparingly per Meatheads suggestion, overnite in the frig.  Looking for suggestions, should I have been much more liberal on the rub, or put more on just before going into the smoker?
Jim in The Granite State

LuvMyQ

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
I had the same results with the Memphis dust.  In my experience, if you want bark go heavier.  Or add more brown sugar.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement