Author Topic: Hey, First electric smoker  (Read 2847 times)

num

Hey, First electric smoker
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »
Hello, 

Decided to buy myself an electric smoker,  I bought the #3 and seasoned it, waiting for the venison to cure before I smoke it.

Kind of makes my head spin, all the gizmos available for the smoker but that's kind of why I got it.  I like to mod and DIY.

we'll see how far I get.

It just snowed a bunch so not sure about this roast,  Might do another dry run to see if temp stays still in the smoker.

Durangosmoker

Re: Hey, First electric smoker
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley. We got some snow, too, but don't let that keep you from using your #3 in all types of weather.  I have used mine when the weather was in the single digits, and there are people here who have used them in -20 degree weather. These machines are well insulated and will work fine (though your thermometer probes may get a bit grumpy until they warm up to 30 degrees or so).
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:28:20 PM »
Welcome to the forums and the family!
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

num

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
Yep,  In rockland County.

Durango Colorado ? 

If so, it's paradise and I don't know how you ever leave,  Best biking i've ever done out there.

ibbones

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 01:07:39 AM »
Welcome from South Texas.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:34:54 AM »
Yep,  In rockland County.

Durango Colorado ? 

If so, it's paradise and I don't know how you ever leave,  Best biking i've ever done out there.

Back in 1990, I was a Senior on high school and my team won the ND State Babe Ruth Baseball tournament, which allowed us to advance to the Regional tournament in Durango. I was just a stupid high school kid, but I remember it being beautiful there. I lit it up on the diamond and went 17-18 hitting, but unfortunately the rest of my team did not fair as well and we only won one game. Other than the baseball games, I remember going to a really cool Hot Springs place and took a scenic train ride which was pretty cool.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
Welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Durangosmoker

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
Yep, Durango, Colorado. It's a great town, and beautiful country, with the Animas Riuver running through it, Desert to the south of town, and mountains to the north. Gregg, you must be referring to Trimble Hot Springs Resort, and to the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gage Railroad, both of which are still going strong, but presumably significantly upgraded since 1990. (This portion sponsored by the Durango Chamber of Commerce  ;D).

But the Hudson Valley is also beautiful in its own way. I am very lucky to be able to call both home.

Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »
Yep, Durango, Colorado. It's a great town, and beautiful country, with the Animas Riuver running through it, Desert to the south of town, and mountains to the north. Gregg, you must be referring to Trimble Hot Springs Resort, and to the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gage Railroad, both of which are still going strong, but presumably significantly upgraded since 1990. (This portion sponsored by the Durango Chamber of Commerce  ;D).

But the Hudson Valley is also beautiful in its own way. I am very lucky to be able to call both home.

Yep, both of those names sound very familiar. I would love to get back through there again some day.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 02:51:20 AM »
Been to Durango a couple times visiting a friend. Great town. Drove to Silverton instead of taking the train. Also drove to Purgatory Resort on my first day there (after flying/landing a couple times), and got pretty dizzy and altitude sick. Bad idea. Madison is only about 750 feet above sea level. Should have taken a day or so to acclimate. :o
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide