Author Topic: Wood size question  (Read 4348 times)

Truckman225

Wood size question
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:39:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new to using this type of smoker. Very impressed with the build quality of my #1. My question is about shorter smokes say 2-3 hours. If using 1-2 ozs of wood do I leave it in the full block or break it into several pieces to get more surface area exposed to heat and I would think generating more smoke? Thanks for your input, I'm sure I will have more questions as I go.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Wood size question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
I might cut a two ounce piece in half. But I don't think I would bother cutting a 1 ounce piece down any.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »
Doesn't really matter whether the smoke is 2 hours or 20 hours, the smoke is usually done well before 2 hours no matter what the size of the chunk.  Personally, I vary my chunk sizes only because I want some to start smoking sooner and the larger pieces to start later, thus lasting longer.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Truckman225

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
Size matters...  Unless you're trying to get wood smoking at a very low temp, keep it big.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rpindianajones

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
Hi all,
I didn't see any other spot to post this so I am putting this here.  I am a newbie so still learning.  The amount of wood for a particular smoke is still rather elusive to me.  The weight is critical to getting a good smoke.  I was getting tired of bringing my wood chunks to the kitchen scale to sort through them to get the size I wanted.  I also didn't like taking the scale to the wood.   I purchased a small scale from Harbor Freight that I am dedicating just to the wood.  It is called a pocket scale. I have mixed feelings about Harbor Freight stuff, but his little guy seems very nice.  It weighs up to just over one pound.  Which is way more than we will ever need for a smoke.  Because of the low weight limit, it has tremendous resolution.  It shows three decimals on ounces.  The accuracy seems spot on.  The regular price is $9.99.  Using one of the readily available 20% off coupons made it about $8.00.  So far it seems to work great.  It is small, about the size of a stack of index cards.  Perfect for chunks of wood.  I am just going to stick it in a ziploc bag and keep it with my wood. The only thing I don't care for is that it defaults to grams.  a press of the mode button switches it to ounces.  You have to do this every time.  No real issue, just a very minor annoyance.
I am really starting to love this smoking thing.
Ron from Indiana
SI #1
Weber Genesis

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Hey Ron,
The important thing here is to use a scale. With this smoker, less wood is better!
Best Greg

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »
Ron... I use this same scale for my coffee.  I actually measure in grams, so the default is nice for me.  It's not a perfectly precise scale, but it's close enough and gets the job done and costs almost nothing.

I'm actually surprised to hear it stated so frequently and emphatically that the wood weight is so very important.  I measured for the first several smokes and then quit and just eyeball it.  Everything comes out great so I'm either good or lucky.  ;)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Walt

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
I haven't weighed wood in years. Like Dave indicated above, I use a combination if chips, slivers & chunks for most smokes, in an attempt to achieve the maximum smoke exposure. Chips & slivers for the shorter smokes.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill