Author Topic: Wood Burn Thoughts  (Read 13094 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Wood Burn Thoughts
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
Last 5 or 6 smokes, I barely get an hour of visible smoke out of the box.  While food is great, I wanted to post a picture of finished wood after a 5 1/2 hour smoke.

Left is wood chips, right is 3 oz cherry chunk.  Wood too damp?  In past over the winter finished wood looked like dust.

Thoughts?  All aok? 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Grampy

Re: Wood Burn Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
John, I would say all is OK. I would bet that whenever you smoked before and all that was left was ashes that you did not foil your wood? I had the same problem before I started putting foil in the bottom of my fire box. The foil allows the wood to smolder and keeps the wood from combusting.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:58:36 PM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
This looks normal to me as well.    My left over wood is always just a charred piece, except for long smokes for BB where the wood is reduced to ash after 12 hours or so.   I think you are OK.   Even though you don't see a lot of smoke after the first 1.5 hours or so, the wood is still producing smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:50:27 PM »
John,

I concur this is normal....

These babies don't put out much smoke, it goes into the food.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »
I keep trying to not let the 1 hour or less of smoke bother me even though the food is good but it still bothers me.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

KY Smoke

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
I have an assortment box of Fruita Wood on the way, that seems to be highly recommended by several members.  Since it's supposed to have the right degree of moisture in the wood for the optimum smoke quality and flavor, should this then change the length of time that the wood lasts or the length of time that this smoker produces smoke?  This may have already been asked at some point over the years, but searched several times and didn't come up with any results to match this question....at least with the key words I was using.

I've started with an assortment of wood that I got from Steve, and seems to only last no more than an hour..if that.  I know from reading this thread that one hour is normal, but......  Does anyone know if the moisture level is something that Steve is concerned with, on the wood that's being sold on the Smokin-it Website?  Not a whole lot of informaiton listed other than "chemical free".

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.

Jeff

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:13:07 PM »
  Does anyone know if the moisture level is something that Steve is concerned with, on the wood that's being sold on the Smokin-it Website?  Not a whole lot of informaiton listed other than "chemical free".

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.
Not sure what Steve's concerns are for moisture but the Oak that I received with my "Little Guy" checked out at 18%

Jeff
[/quote]
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Carp210

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
John,
My wood looks the same.  Just did a rib cook for 5 1/2 hrs at 235.  2 oz hickory and 2 oz cherry.  Weighed the wood after the smoke and it was 1.4 oz after starting with 4oz.  I did not hang around to watch how much smoke was coming out but I did use foil.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »
Guys, I know Steve local sources his wood from Michigan, but I don't honestly think he spends much time on moisture content.  If it has 18%, that's not bad.  Now that I've used Smokinlicious.com wood, I find the wood I have from MGW and Fruitawood to be much drier. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:29 PM »
Kind of sorry to hear that about the moisture content on Fruitawood Tony!  Have a 20# boxed assortment that will be here on Thursday.  Will take a look at Smokinlicious now though.  Can't ever have enough Smokin wood!  ;)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
Kind of sorry to hear that about the moisture content on Fruitawood Tony!  Have a 20# boxed assortment that will be here on Thursday.  Will take a look at Smokinlicious now though.  Can't ever have enough Smokin wood!  ;)

Jeff, the Fruitawood is good.  I've had some combustion with it, but a little foil stops that.  I think the Smokinlicious wood isn't a matter of "good and bad," but more a matter of "better and best."  Fruitawood does have bark, although it's very clean bark.  I just like that the Smokinlicious wood is all heartwood with no bark.  You'll be happy with the Fruitawood.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »
+1 Smokinlicious wood is the only wood I am using.

Greg

bubbabob

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »
Hey All,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using oak that has been part of a wine barrel? I have a friend that gets a lot of wine barrels to make benches and lazy susans out of and he gave me some samples to try smoking meat with. The oak is 5 years old but has been impregnated with red wine to a depth of maybe 3/16's of an inch over that 5 years. I don't know about the moisture content and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Any thoughts?
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »
I'd say definitely try those wine barrels on a beef smoke.
I tried the Jack Daniel chips made from oak barrels that were used for whiskey and while not so good on meat, I find perfect for smoking peppers for hot sauce.
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
I use a mix of oak and either maple or cherry, just depends on what I am smoking. I hope the barrels were not varnished on the outside.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri