Author Topic: Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods  (Read 99808 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
Sorry, Ginger; it's really to big to post with the limitations of the forum.  I can make it available in a Word format, it you'd prefer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muzikman

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »
I personally feel that PDF's are the best possible format for sharing documents. Every platform has a reader (including phones).

That being said, it could easily be posted inside a forum post using the table tag. If you don't feel like typing all the tags, you could use the following site to create the code and then just copy and past it. It also makes it easy to update if you save it.

http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx

Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
I personally feel that PDF's are the best possible format for sharing documents. Every platform has a reader (including phones).

That being said, it could easily be posted inside a forum post using the table tag. If you don't feel like typing all the tags, you could use the following site to create the code and then just copy and past it. It also makes it easy to update if you save it.

http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx

We'll keep it PDF for now...like you said, there are PDF readers on every platform, and I've personally never had a problem with them (and create/use/send PDF docs every day, all day).  Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll pass it on to Ben, the IT guy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »
Hey Ginger, head over to the "What Tree Do You Use" section and do a search on pellets.  Here's a recent topic, from Arnie, with his experience with pellets:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2365.0

There's been lots of discussion on pellets in the wood section.
Tony from NW Arkansas

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Divo thank you.
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »
Well guy's in the past I have noticed that some of you have had different settings ( temp's  ) and or cook times when cooking ribs which will be my first cook this weekend ( 2 to 3 maybe 4  slaps ) most likely Baby back so my question is ..........................even though there is a chart to view ....could you please give me any suggestions or thoughts on cook time and temp ?
[I[I .............

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
235 deg, at least 5 hours.  Check at 5 hours and add wet sauce if you like.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

1stlink

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »
Thank you for the very helpful guide. I have saved it and will be printing it out shortly.
I noticed that pecan wood is not mentioned for smoking pork and was wondering if Gregg or anyone else could comment on that.

Also no mention of peach. Is it safe to assume that it would be used just like apple or cherry?
Thanks again,
Ralph

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
I haven't used Peach before. But like apple, it is a mild smoking wood and can be used much like apple.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
Ralph, we just couldn't list all the woods that are good!  Peach is great on pork, especially combined with a mix of hickory.  Very mild and sweet - I like it better than apple.  Adds a little orange color to your bark, too! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
Man you guys are Johnny on the spot or should I say Gregg and Tony on the spot?
I noticed that Pecan is not mentioned in the pork section. I was planning on using some pecan 2 oz., mixed with Apple 3.5 oz, on my Boston butt tonight.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, Ralph

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
This isn't an absolute, but the majority of my smokes are 2 fruits and a nut.  Apple and cherry dominate the 2 fruits.  Pecan is the dominant nut. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 10:47:43 PM »
Ralph, I ordered 30 pounds of peach from fruitawood just before getting my #2. I guess I should have read more of the forums before ordering such a large amount.  :-[  Now I'm looking for any takers that want to buy/trade so I can get a bigger selection of woods. I've been using mostly peach and some hickory (from the #2 delivery) on my recent smokes. I also have some apple chips I've tried once.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the peach wood on the turkey I did. I'm doing some ribs tomorrow and will use peach with them.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

1stlink

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
Hi Tony, I would be interested in getting some of your peach chunks if the shipping doesn't tear me up. Let me know what it would cost for 5 to 10 pounds of peach shipped. My ZIP Code is 34112

If you prefer you can PM me or send email direct.

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
Tony - you might want to post your peach wood in "For Sale or Trade." 
Tony from NW Arkansas