Author Topic: Firmware Upgrade?  (Read 3676 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Firmware Upgrade?
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »
I have the 3D-Wifi and noticed that I'm still on firmware 1.0 whereas one of my friends is on 1.2.  I can't find any instructions on the Smokin-It site on upgrading the firmware.  Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Firmware Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:54:53 PM »
I just checked the Auberins website and could not find anything either. Steve might be able to help.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DenisR

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
Hi guys,  I just got a 2D wifi in March and have done a few smokes (turned out great) but I didn't like that the unit starts heating as soon as the switch is turned on and no easy way to stop the program. I seen on the Auber site that the newer Auber firmware fixes those issues. Like you I couldn't find any info on their site on how to upgrade so I called them. The only way to update is to send the unit to them, so I plan on waiting until winter to send it to them. 
Denis

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 02:03:22 AM »
Like you I couldn't find any info on their site on how to upgrade so I called them. The only way to update is to send the unit to them, so I plan on waiting until winter to send it to them. 

Ugh...  thank you for doing the work I was too lazy to do.  :)  I love Smokin-It smokers and promote them all the time, but the digital controllers are really garbage from every possible software perspective.  I wonder if Steve knows just how bad it is and how much it tarnishes his brand?

Any more I just leave mine set with a single program to cook by time (for a long time) at a set temp.  I treat it like an analog unit...  when I turn it on it comes on and goes to the set temp and I just turn it off when I'm ready.  It's just not worth the effort to do more.  I would honestly rather have a #3 instead of the 3DW.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Reeg

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »
After a cook I set the temp to 0 (zero) with the wifi app and when I turn it on for the next cook the controller has nowhere to go.
Paul from SW New Hampshire
SI #2DW + Bella's CSG

Metrakay

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »
They also need to accommodate newer bandwidths and update the apps for newer, more secure tech.

Every time I want to use the smoker, I have to dig up the old router and plug it in, change my phone’s network and pray the device will communicate. The smoker is less than 8 feet from the router and I have problems getting it to communicate.  Just spent 20 minutes trying to get it to recognize the smoker and to save a couple settings.  I’d use it more frequently if it wasn’t such a pain in the behind. I got out the roaster last week rather than mess with it... not what I paid for... kinda miffed at the thing to be honest.  It simply isn’t reliable enough to plan to serve anybody the same day I use it— can’t expect it to connect, can’t expect it to respond to the app, can’t get the pid to program easily without the app... app hasn’t been updated since before I got the smoker.  If it’s a WiFi device it should be able to have its firmware user updated.  The app should be updated to work with the new network’s tech that’s at least two years old, or at least be reliable using the 10 year old tech. 

And since many features of the phone won’t work with the weakly secured (old) router, I suspect the app will either be disallowed in the near future as insecure, or simply cease to function when the phone will no longer allow connections to that type of network. At that point the smoker becomes a very expensive piece of trash.

Ok, I’m done ranting.  This is just getting frustrating.
MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
And since many features of the phone won’t work with the weakly secured (old) router, I suspect the app will either be disallowed in the near future as insecure, or simply cease to function when the phone will no longer allow connections to that type of network. At that point the smoker becomes a very expensive piece of trash.

If you read my prior posts, you know I'm right there with you.  Keep in mind that it's still very possible to program and use the smoker without an app at all, so not all is lost.  (Of course, the panel programming is even more stupidly designed than on the phone.)

ReliableRick

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »
After a cook I set the temp to 0 (zero) with the wifi app and when I turn it on for the next cook the controller has nowhere to go.

Now thats using your noodle. Going to try that next.
Rick, 4 hours and 14 minutes northeast of Smokin-IT warehouse
Model 2D owner (Newbie)
I love being outdoors, being self reliant, and feeding people.

ReliableRick

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
They also need to accommodate newer bandwidths and update the apps for newer, more secure tech.

Every time I want to use the smoker, I have to dig up the old router and plug it in, change my phone’s network and pray the device will communicate. The smoker is less than 8 feet from the router and I have problems getting it to communicate.  Just spent 20 minutes trying to get it to recognize the smoker and to save a couple settings.  I’d use it more frequently if it wasn’t such a pain in the behind. I got out the roaster last week rather than mess with it... not what I paid for... kinda miffed at the thing to be honest.  It simply isn’t reliable enough to plan to serve anybody the same day I use it— can’t expect it to connect, can’t expect it to respond to the app, can’t get the pid to program easily without the app... app hasn’t been updated since before I got the smoker.  If it’s a WiFi device it should be able to have its firmware user updated.  The app should be updated to work with the new network’s tech that’s at least two years old, or at least be reliable using the 10 year old tech. 

Ok, I’m done ranting.  This is just getting frustrating.

Get a cheap wireless router or access point off craigs list (I have a box full, you pay for shipping and its yours. I'll even program it first). Create a wifi network for the smoker only. Run a cable from the LAN port of your regular router to the LAN port of the smoker router. If that requires more explanation just PM me and I can walk you through it step by step.
Rick, 4 hours and 14 minutes northeast of Smokin-IT warehouse
Model 2D owner (Newbie)
I love being outdoors, being self reliant, and feeding people.

Metrakay

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »
Thanks, but I already have the old router, and do just that, feed it off the new one. Having it on is one more thing and two cables on the desk with a single purpose and the router is old, old. Will have to keep an old phone to run it too... and it’s charger cable, and replacement cables, since the charge port has been changed on newer models... the last couple chickens were worth the effort 😁
They still ought to update the app: even if they charge $20 for the app it would be worth it for an update.
MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

Danbow

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 07:21:14 PM »
Just had to say I was thinking I was an idiot (which I still may be) but I have been totally hamstrung on running the wifi. Have treated the smoker more like an analog. The smoker itself kicks butt, but the wifi controller stumps me something fierce.
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

Jim_MI

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 12:02:31 PM »
You guys probably figured this out already, but I had to discover things the hard way. I was concerned that my 1 month old #3DW shipped with obsolete PID firmware because the Smokin-It app showed v1.0.0. A few emails later I was reassured.

On the android Smokin-It app for controlling the Auber PID, if you click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right part of the top green ribbon bar, then click on Device in the drop-down menu, it shows Version v1.0.0.  That is NOT the version of the Auber firmware! That is the version of the WiFi firmware inside the Auber controller, and according to Auber, v1.0.0 is the latest. To see the firmware version of the Auber controller itself, you have to power up the smoker and look at the LCD display.  When it first lights up, the display briefly shows the controller firmware and then goes on to show temps and such. The latest firmware is v1.8.2
Jim, from NW Michigan
SI-3DW, Bella

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 03:08:09 PM »
Steve and Auber are best to answer wifi conundrums. And Jim_MI seems to have found a solution for the doityourselfers!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus