Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3121 times)

elk_smoker

« on: October 10, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »
Hello to all.

I am posting this per the forum rules to introduce myself. I reside in Southeastern Louisiana.

I'm not a Smokin-it owner yet, but I intend to be soon. I have been using stick burners for 30 years and switched earlier this year to my first electric smoker. My experience with that smoker was NOT a good one. On my third smoke in the unit, the smoke generator, which also controlled the heating element, died on me in the middle of the smoke! I wasn't aware of this for over an hour and subsequently had to trash $30.00 worth of meat that was sitting in the 100F range! I have absolutely no tolerance for that kind of product quality and returned it to Cabela's the next day. I have to say that Cabela's was wonderful in taking it back and gave me a full refund. I was also able to return $200.00 worth of proprietary smoking wood to Home Depot that same week.

So, here I am. I have been researching electric smokers for weeks now. My research has led me to Smokin-It. I have read every last review I can find on the internet concerning the Smokin-It brand, including the forums here, Amazon, smokingmeatforums, bbq-brethren, etc, etc, etc....  I have been able to discover only TWO negative reviews of the Smokin-It, and one of those is highly suspect as being "counterfeit". I am seriously impressed by what I have read so far, and believe me, after my experience earlier this year, I have been scrutinizing every forum post, purchase review, the BBB, complaint websites, on-and-on-and-on....

I look forward to a long and happy relationship with Smokin-It and the forum!

One thing I am very, very curious about the the 2nd Generation smoker with the integrated PID. Is there an ETA on when those will be released on the market?

Thanks in advance,
elk_smoker
I never fail. I succeed at finding what does not work.

Smokin-IT Model 3,  Cajun Grill Super Cajun w/offset Firebox,  Southwest Smokers Portable Smoker/Grill, Backyard Steakhouse Infrared Grill,  Charbroil Big Easy Infrared Fryer

Kevin from S.E. Louisiana

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
Welcome, Elk!   Your extensive research has paid off, and you are in the right place!   I purchased a #2 nearly two years ago and it is in operation nearly every weekend...nothing but good Q, and very reliable.   Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
Welcome from ND Elk.

The build quality and customer service that you will get with the Smokin-It far surpasses most of the other smoker brands out there.

I think you will be very happy with an SI should you choose to purchase.

Regarding the Next Gen PID models, I don't think we have heard much about these lately. So, I don't think I would wait for it. You can order a current model and an Auber and probably have more precision and options than you will with the PID models that are in the works. Personally, I have not ordered an Auber yet and don't really feel the need to do it anytime soon. I am putting out some pretty damn good food without it. They are very nice to have, but by no means necessary.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elk_smoker

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
Thanks NDKoze!    That is good news!   

I really cannot decide whether to purchase the Auber PID with the smoker or wait and get it later.  I am looking forward to using the SI (probably a #3).

The only other thing I need to work out before I purchase is mobility of the smoker.  I will need to keep it in a storage shed that is raised, so I have a ramp and about 50 feet of yard to contend with to get the smoker onto the patio.  The 4 inch casters aren't going to handle that, so I need to come up with either a cart of some sort with pneumatic tires, or some other solution.

Regardless, I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this thing!   :D

Thanks to all!

I never fail. I succeed at finding what does not work.

Smokin-IT Model 3,  Cajun Grill Super Cajun w/offset Firebox,  Southwest Smokers Portable Smoker/Grill, Backyard Steakhouse Infrared Grill,  Charbroil Big Easy Infrared Fryer

Kevin from S.E. Louisiana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
Hi Elk!  You've done some great research - thank you!  I know the smoker you had to trash, as I almost went that route too, before finding SI!  Now, I'm so glad I found this smoker.  I know you'll be very happy with your decision.

As for the digital smoker:  We are working on a new version, but it will still be awhile before production.  I would definitely go with the standard model - they work great.  You can add the Auber PID, if you want +/- 1° accuracy, and 6 programmable steps, but it is NOT required to produce some really good Q!

Transporting to the deck:  Leave it there, with a cover!  These smokers are all stainless steel, so they are weatherproof.  The cover just keeps the elements off.  I recommend the cart, as it gets the smoker up to a comfortable height.  I leave mine on a covered porch with a cover.

Let us know how we can help!  That's how we roll, around here! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:01:31 PM »
Hi Elk:

Welcome!  I have to agree with everyone else on here, that you will not be disappointed in your Smokin-It #3.  I have the #2, and as much as I love it, I want to upgrade, and eventually will buy the #3.  I just like the fact that you can fit a full rack of ribs in a #3 without cutting them in half, but any model is built like a tank.  The people on this forum also help make for a great experience, and the customer service is A++.  Where else can you get a personally signed note of thanks from the owner thanking you for the purchase?  That alone impressed me, and when I opened the box of my smoker, I could immediately tell the quality was so much better than anything I found at my local sports store. 

I look forward to hearing from you about your experience. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »
Elk
I have a #3 and love it since the day it arrived. I like the fact i can put a full rack of ribs on the shelf.

I have not smoked a lot of volume yet, but its a beast. I have done ribs, pork butt, turkey, chicken thighs, brisket flats, and canadian bacon.

I was not a smoker before this but now i consider myself a semi-pit master.

If you get an auber you will turn the smoker from great to awesome.

Go big!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
Welcome from Southeast Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller