Author Topic: hook-up  (Read 7009 times)

BIG BOB

hook-up
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »
I have a buddy who has bundles of fresh oak, hickory, and Brazilian cherry. He owns a hardwood flooring company. Anyone know of any reason the wood would not work in my#2?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BIG BOB

Re: hook-up
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Oh and walnut.  Oak and walnut good for smoking?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Sounds like you may be onto something, Bob!  Here's the question: has the wood been kiln-dried yet?  Obviously, a flooring producer is going to dry this lumber.  The reason I ask is all about moisture content.  Typically, kiln-dried lumber is going to be 6-8% moisture content; this is way too dry for smoking wood (it'll catch fire and dry your meat out).

From what I've learned, smoking wood is usually kept around 25-35% moisture content.  "Moderate" moisture wood is 16-24%.  Too-dry is less than 15% (unless you're cold-smoking - then it's fine).  So, you want to ask your buddy what the moisture content of the bundled wood is (before drying), and ask him what it would take to get it around 25%.  If he makes flooring, he'll know this stuff by heart.  If you can get that, you may just be the next Fruitawood!  ;)   Sounds like you could have a source for lots of Smokin-It-size chunks!

I think all the woods you listed are great for smoking, with the exception of walnut.  But, the only reason I say walnut is because I've never used it!  ???   Others will probably chime-in that it's great!  I love oak with beef; especially tri-tip steaks or roast.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
I will check on the wood moisture. I hope it is good to go. thanks for the feedback Divot!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
No problem, Bob.  I may want to get in on a little of that if it's good!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BIG BOB

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »
he said it is 7-10% moisture but said to store in a rubbermaid tub in water. for a while.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BIG BOB

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
And YES DIvot... you can have any and all that you want.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Thanks, Bob!  He's definitely right - 7-10 is pretty dry for smoking...can you say "kindling?" lol.  There have been quite a few posts about wood catching fire in the smokers, and I suspect this is the main cause.  If you combine really low-moisture wood with lots of O2 (like when you open the door to peek), you're gonna get a flame!

By the way, does this wood in the bundles still have bark, or has it been planed/shaped? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
the wood has been shaved.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.