Author Topic: Trying out the Peterson's Pucks with a batch of meatloaf!  (Read 5944 times)

Rob Babcock

Trying out the Peterson's Pucks with a batch of meatloaf!
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:56:45 AM »
Okay, gonna try a smoke with just Pucks for wood.  I made up a 5 pound batch of meatloaf, and I'm smoking it with 5 Cherry pucks.  I decided to start on the light end smoke wise.  This will be the first time using the Pucks.  I thought to use wood and fortify with a Puck or two, but in the interest of science I decided to see what they do alone.

I will report back after sampling the loaf!

Rob Babcock

Re: Trying out the Peterson's Pucks with a batch of meatloaf!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:44 AM »
High marks for the Pucks! :D  I gave my 'loaf about 2.5 hours @ 225-ish, until the internal temp was 166 (I didn't hear the alarm I set @ 160).  Since I can't eat my meatloaf w/o some ketchup on top, I slathered it with the red stuff and set it under the oven broiler for maybe 5 minutes to carmelize the paste a bit.

Wow!  Very tasty!  I ended up eating about 12 oz of it just standing over the sink! 8)  The Pucks give a very nice smoke flavor and are simple to use.  I'll have to look and see how much was left at the end up I went 2 Pucks deep.

es1025

Re: Trying out the Peterson's Pucks with a batch of meatloaf!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
Rob, do you know the approx weight of each puck?  I emailed the company without a response. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?