Author Topic: 1st Cook and Pork Question  (Read 869 times)

John Farmington MO

1st Cook and Pork Question
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »
Did my 1st smoke in my #2 analog yesterday consisting of 1 full rack of StL style ribs and riblets from same.  Used 3 oz of hickory and smoked them at 225 for 4.5 hours.  Used an instant read thermometer and the toothpick method to check for doneness.  Sauced and wrapped all returning to smoker for another 45 minutes.  I had also done the dry brining and plastic wrap the night before and brought the ribs to room temp before placing them in the #2.  They turned out great and I wanted to say thanks to all the previous posters for sharing your experiences and tips!

So,my question.  Here in MO we eat pork steaks.  Basically, they are center cut slices from a Boston Butt. I prefer the thicker cut ones, about 2 lbs each.  I want to smoke four of these for Memorial Day weekend.  So, 4 steaks, 2lbs each, what are your recommendations?  Like the ribs, I will use mustard and dry rub the night before, wrap in plastic wrap and bring them to room temp the morning of the smoke.  I plan on putting them on the top two shelves and smoking at 225 with 4 ounces of cherry wood.  Any thoughts on how long it will take these to get fork tender, above 180 degrees?  Thanks!

Lonzinomaker

Re: 1st Cook and Pork Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
I'm guessing around 2 hours.  I do meatloaf to 160 degrees and a 3 lb meatloaf takes 2.5 hours to get to 160.
If you don't have a remote therometer, I recommend the "https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609RefzaL6F2k8qSfUacNTpc0WcJi4mOnPU8cApx3X-k743s5U4Ga8ogIRoCbPQQAvD_BwE" by Thermoworks.
I only do ribs by time, everything else I cook by temperature.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:35:58 AM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

OldeSmoker

Re: 1st Cook and Pork Question
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »
Hey John, welcome from the other side of Missouri. It sounds like you had a great cook with your ribs. I am also a fan of smoked pork steak and if I am understanding this correctly you want to smoke 4, two pound pork steaks at the same time. Based on your information I would approach this as if I was smoking spare ribs. 4-6 hours at 225* would give you the final temp. you are looking for.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger