Author Topic: Sausage on racks vs. hanging  (Read 1716 times)

Pkelly251

Sausage on racks vs. hanging
« on: March 11, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
I just started making sausage and am looking to purchase a SI smoker.  My pellet grill does a good job on BBQ but doesn’t get low enough temperatures for sausage.  The lowest setting is 180 degrees.  It seems like the #3 would be plenty big for my other needs, but I have read some think I would need to get a #3.5 or 4 if I wanted to hang sausage.  With a 3, I would need to smoke while the sausage is laying on racks.  I would appreciate you thoughts on if there is a quality difference between hanging and laying on racks?

Thanks
3DW

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Sausage on racks vs. hanging
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
Hanging sausage looks nice, you also get a nicer looking finished product without rack marks. I have made unknown piles of sausage on racks in  my Analog #3. It is not a disadvantage, just a difference.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

OldeSmoker

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »
I have an SI model 3DW. With the racks removed you can place sausage hanging bars in the top rack position. This gives you sufficient height to hang sausage in it.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »
Like OldeSmoker states, you can use bars to hand sausage. You can purchase them, or make your own, which is what I plan to do at some point, just haven’t. Thought about using rebar and welding feet to each side to keep the bar in the track.

That said, I’ve smoked a good amount of sausage on the racks and they turn out great! I have a #3D as well,  so same size. You will love this smoker. They are great for so many uses.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear