Author Topic: Frigid Temps - Anyone Smoking  (Read 1766 times)

Glock_21

Frigid Temps - Anyone Smoking
« on: February 11, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »
Anyone smoking anything good in these frigid temperatures?

I think I will cold smoke a batch of cheese this week.  Seems like the right weather for it, LOL.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Frigid Temps - Anyone Smoking
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:15:48 PM »
I'm not even grilling right now, let alone smoking, and temps where I live are mid 30's at night to high 60's during the day.  Just lazy I guess.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mike1910

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:22 PM »
-10 for a high here and -30 to -40 at night for the past week. So Not much smoking going on here either. However, I did fire up my Weber kettle the other day and did wings for the Super Bowl, Ha!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:07:44 PM »
We are lucky in New Mexico - I had the side burner going the other night with the gasser going. Been grilling most nights, but like David, it’s been in the 60s the last week, which is warm here. So nice.

I’m sorry those winter temps are brutal for you guys right now! Hopefully it’s the tail end of it for you and it starts to warm up a bit.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:16:23 AM »
After smoking a spread for the Super Bowl, not much smoking going on here since. Our normal high for today’s date is 49*. Today our high temp. was 16*. It’s only going lower from there. By Saturday, high around 5* and lows - whatever. For you northerners this might seem balmy. But this ain’t normal around here. Probably going to wait a spell to fire up the 3DW until my nostrils don’t freeze shut when I breathe.

Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Norwester

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
We had freezing rain here in Oregon last night and expected thru late tonite. Back to our normal mid/high 40's tomorrow.
I'm doing a 3# German bologna chub tomorrow so I hope they're right. Don't need the power going out in the middle of.
Jeff from central Oregon

OldeSmoker

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 03:15:11 PM »
Smoked bologna is the best. I don't think I've ever had German bologna though. Sounds great!
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

Norwester

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 03:02:19 AM »
I use Owen's BBQ's mix, it's absolutely the best sausage I've eaten flavor wise. I guess I could have used the smoker today. Lights flickered a few times but just went out a few minutes ago. Midnight and things are thawing. Probably something fell on a line. Oh well 1st thing in the morning, took about 11 hrs last batch.
Jeff from central Oregon

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
It's supposed to be 59 degrees the next couple of days, so I might throw on a jacket... but, yeah... I have wings and pecans I want to smoke and I'm on a 3-day weekend.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

BBQueen

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
I have not use the smoker or grill at all this winter (since mid-december) until this week. We got a crap ton of snow from x-mas though January into Feb. Broke records for amount of snow on the ground...I had over 30" on the ground in February being on some high ground about a mile from Lake Michigan we had significant Lake Effect snow on NNE winds in a series of storms.

But the past week we warmed up and had lots of snow melt and my chef partner is having some of the line cooks over later today for BBQ. So doing a full smoker of ribs now and yesterday I cold smoked some uncured pork belly for a bout 30 minutes, that will be added to beans.

I am using a Auber PID now. It was 24 degrees when I went to prep the smoker and get the PID hooked up. I wormed the inside of the smoker and temp sensor of the PID with a chefs butane torch. (saw in the manual the PID won't start if the temp sensor is below 28 degrees or something like that.

It is above freezing a couple hours into the smoke....so all good.
Eva in MKE
NEW! Smoke-IT Model #2 and the little house thing on top
Char-Broil Infrared Commercial Gas Grill
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill
Various Marine Gas Grills (Magnum, Kaunna...)

OldeSmoker

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
We are now warming up nicely. It’s 65 today. Time to get things fired up again.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

Norwester

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 12:37:11 AM »
I posted earlier in the thread  that the power had went out, it was out for 2 days. Others in the Willamette Valley were out for close to 15-16 days due to the ice storm! Its been flirting with 60* lately.
Eventually got the bologna done anyway. Just finished up my 1st batch of snack sticks. Not knowing how much would fit in the #1 I made a 3 lb batch
but I think I can do 6 lbs easily on 3 racks and more if I want to rotate the 4th bottom rack often.
Jeff from central Oregon