Author Topic: Not holding temp  (Read 1597 times)

RoryDean

Not holding temp
« on: November 26, 2020, 06:14:35 PM »
Got the Smoking-it #2 and it has a huge swing in temps, set on 250 and it will drop to 215 before coming back on. I feel like there is something wrong....so I'm reaching out.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Not holding temp
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »
It's all good... there are temp swings, sometimes large, and they make no difference at all over the course of the smoke.  Best thing you an do for your sanity and to make use even simpler is to quit monitoring the box temp. 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »
Assuming you have the analog smoker. Also assuming you are using a secondary probe to monitor temp. Make sure your secondary probe is accurate via the boiling water test. Also the probe should be positioned center or toward top of smoker. Is it registering 250?  Does it register higher or lower before the power to the element cuts off?  Ideally it should register above 250 by 10 to 20 degrees. Sometimes more sometimes less.  The element will come back on whet the temp drops by a similar # of degrees.

If it is only registering 250 or a tad lower you can adjust. Instructions are on the main site. Swings are normal.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RoryDean

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:15:20 PM »
I'm using a Thermoworks Smoke (dual probe) to Monitor the box & meat temp but it's getting worse. I've had this unit and been using it for about 4 years...it's analog. Did a 8 lb turkey breast today set on 250 and it took 6 hours to hit internal temp of 160.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 11:30:48 PM »
If your sure the smoke is accurate you may need a new element. With nothing in the smoker and wood box removed do you have a uniform orange red glow on the element or are there some dark spots?  Uniform ok. Dark and element is going bad.

Something back I posted a link to repairing appliances. Can’t remember wording. Might have been about overs or burners or cslrod. Try the search feature. Also a multimeter may be useful to test your Fleming if it seems good. Cannot do anymore as I am working from old phone. Good luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus