Author Topic: Spring Turkey  (Read 1292 times)

JeffroTull

Spring Turkey
« on: August 19, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »
A little late, but did my spring turkey that I shot this past season.

Breasted it out and took both leg quarters.

Put all in a simple brine for ~48h
Brine: 1 cup each kosher salt and white sugar; 1 tbsp each cayenne, onion and garlic powder; 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns. On a whim I added fresh thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, and garlic to the brine after ~24h.

Wrapped the both leg quarters and one breast in bacon (my wife called “dibs” on one of the breasts to sous vide it) and smoked them over applewood chips (~2oz) at 250 until IT on breast was 165. Took about 2h. Had some cranberry wine in the water bath. Breast came out delicious.

My intent with the leg quarters, knowing how rubbery and full of tendons they are, was to par-cook and get some smoke on them. I eventually braised them with veggies in some chicken stock and de-boned/de-tendoned the meat into a makeshift “hash.” Turned out OK. Kept the braising liquid for smoked turkey stock.

TexasSMK

Re: Spring Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
We have some similar smokes and hunting going on.  I haven't tried a bacon wrap on turkey yet--interesting.  I love a smoked spring turkey!  Congrats on the harvest, good looking bird.  Here is a picture of my bird this year--yep, smoked it--did't add the smoke on here this year
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 06:41:50 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber