Author Topic: Multiple pieces of meat, time & wood  (Read 1459 times)

EzGlider

• Jeff
Multiple pieces of meat, time & wood
« on: May 01, 2020, 06:38:36 AM »
I searched and cant find an answer for this one, which I think would be a common question...

I just did a 6.2 # flat in my model 2 and it took 12.3 hrs. If I did 2 separate 6.2# flats what would the anticipated cook time be? I would not anticipate twice as long, but I would think longer than if it was just a single since even if you preheat the box you introduce twice the volume of cold meat when you start. Does a second piece add 10% to cook time? Just a guess but looking for your experience.

If you add that 2nd flat then I would assume you really don't need to add additional wood. You make more smoke than you need to flavor the meat anyhow right. This is why that smell tortures us during the cooking process. Once we are off this social distancing thing I plan to have a get together and have some brisket. My last one could not have come out better, and I am very happy with my M2. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff

barelfly

Re: Multiple pieces of meat, time & wood
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:15 AM »
Hey Jeff,

I’d say the second brisket of the same size would cook similarly to what you just experienced. You could add a bit more wood, depending on how much you used for the one flat.

But some pieces of meat are different and may take longer to or shorter too cook. I will add that if you purchased a larger brisket, packer style, say 12lbs, it would probably cook per pound quicker than what the 6.2# flat cooked (2 hours per). It’s weird that way, but that’s what I’ve experienced with my cooks.

Hopefully that helps. But enjoy that brisket! Nothing better than a cookout with friends and serving up a good brisket!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear