Author Topic: Large puffs of smoke while seasoning?  (Read 1553 times)

epr25

Large puffs of smoke while seasoning?
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »
I’m seasoning my smoker it’s been running for about an hour now. There are 2 blocks of the provided wood in the smoke house the temp is set at 250 as instructed. Twice the smoker has done a large puff or whoosh of smoke. Is this normal? Or is this just part of the first time seasoning?

mike1910

Re: Large puffs of smoke while seasoning?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:28:15 PM »
I’m not expert when it comes to this but I think you’re describing the ‘belch.’ And yes it’s normal. There’s a few different theories about if it’s wood catching fire or gasses exploding etc. Either way, I wouldn’t worry.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »
Yes, this sounds like what we have lovingly call "the belch".  It is typically caused by dry wood that catches fire when the heat gets to about 180 or so in the smoker.   After the belch, the wood should smoke fine.   You can find lots of posts on the discussion board about what others have tried to minimize the belch, such as foil wrapping the wood, or using wood chunks with a higher moisture content.

Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
Stop watching your smoker. Put wood in, set the temp and walk away. Watching smoke and temps will make you crazy.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud