Author Topic: Smokinlicious chunk size  (Read 3161 times)

Suzanne

Smokinlicious chunk size
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
Hi newbie here!  Just got my 1/4 box mix (alder, maple, cherry) in.  The double fillet is 1-1/2 x 3-1/2”.  Should I cut these in half?  Wasn’t sure if there too large for my Model #1

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokinlicious chunk size
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:29:15 PM »
When I started out with an electric, I ignored some sage advice on the Cookshack forum about using the wood sparingly. I over smoked a butt, turned it ugly bitter with a black sticky coating. Every time the smoke died out, I added more wood till I used 3/4 lb.   So I started weighing the wood and cutting into roughly 1, 2, and 3 ounce chunks.  For large cuts like a butt or whole packer brisket, i use 5 to 6 ounces.  For baby back ribs, 3 ounces and St. Louis style 4 to 5 ounces.  An inexpensive digital scale works fine.  I am now to the point where I just give a good estimate of the weight and don't normally weigh the wood.  I still weigh the chunks when I get a shipment just so I know the average weight of each piece.   Hope this helps.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 05:16:51 AM »
I would highly recommend a digital scale for weighing wood. If not mistaken there was a discussion a ways back on scales that was very helpful.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
Two great posts above, that is all the info you need. It will set you up for great smoked meat!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
I go by weight also, but I use any chunk that lets the door to the smoke box close. If the door doesn't close, I chop enough of an edge off so it will close.
I find the wood burns to fast if the door doesn't sit flat on the box.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Norwester

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:50:09 AM »
In my #1 I generally use 2 oz for ribs and 3-3 1/2 oz for shoulders and butts.
Jeff from central Oregon

tostitobandito

• 3DW - Seattle, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 09:40:00 PM »
Agree with everyone who says to weigh it.  Get a cheap digital kitchen scale.  That said, the smokinlicious chunk size seems fine to me (assuming my model 3 firebox is the same size inside).  Most chunks are anywhere between about 2.5 and 4 ounces, so I didn't have a problem finding two adding up to around 7-7.5 ounces for my brisket.  For shorter cooks I'd just use a single chunk of the appropriate weight.  If I absolutely needed to I could grab a hatchet and split some of the chunks, but I don't forsee needing to do that.  As long as they fit in the firebox and it fully closes you're fine.  Even the biggest chunks fit fine in my model 3 firebox.