Author Topic: 2nd batch of bacon  (Read 10958 times)

sweetride95

Re: 2nd batch of bacon
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Looking awesome man!
Let me know how that slicer works for you. Are you going to cut the bellies in half to slice?
I found a 12" slicer on FB. It's huge and weighs 65lbs. I want it, but my wife will kill me if I buy a monster like that. LOL
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 01:49:38 PM »
The bacon is looking awesome!

I am looking forward to hearing the results of the taste tests. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokedGouda

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
First off, this slicer is perfect. It’s nice and compact, but I was able to fit the entire slab on the carriage. So, full size slices for everyone! It was easy to use and clean. I spent a long time slicing thru everything, but def not as long as it would’ve taken me to slice it by hand. I cut all the original flavor first, then cooked up the pieces that weren’t really slices. Then did the same with the garlic, followed by spicy.

All 3 of them were delicious! The original was good, pretty sweet, good strong smokiness. The jalapeño maple was good, just a little heat at first with a little more coming thru at the end. It had a real nice flavor to it and wasn’t overpowering . The rosemary garlic... incredible. My favorite one so far. The rosemary gives it a nice flavor and the garlic comes in towards the end of the bite. It’s hard to explain it, but I highly recommend giving it a try. It’s so different than the original, makes for a nice change of pace.

I vacuum packed most of it for my coworkers. Have a decent amount left for ourselves too, which I’ll portion and seal tomorrow. We’re gonna take some of the scraps and turn them into bits and then add to vanilla ice cream. If you’ve never done that, that’s also highly recommended.

Overall, I’m extremely happy with how it all turned out. It was a lot of work, but worth it for the amount I have left and how much I sold it for haha. Plus now I have the slicer which will help when I make jerky.

Looking forward to having some full slices for breakfast tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:37:21 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

sweetride95

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
Looks great man. Everyone I know are more into the free sample bacon, I wish I could get a few customers.
I'm glad the slicer worked out for you. That would have been a nightmare to slice by hand.
I finally decided on a slicer myself. For size, power, and construction I went with this..
https://www.kitchenwarestation.com/product/ms-6ns-food-slicer-silver-stainless-blade/

Bacon/vanilla ice cream sounds tasty.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
First off, this slicer is perfect. It’s nice and compact, but I was able to fit the entire slab on the carriage. So, full size slices for everyone! It was easy to use and clean. I spent a long time slicing thru everything, but def not as long as it would’ve taken me to slice it by hand. I cut all the original flavor first, then cooked up the pieces that weren’t really slices. Then did the same with the garlic, followed by spicy.

All 3 of them were delicious! The original was good, pretty sweet, good strong smokiness. The jalapeño maple was good, just a little heat at first with a little more coming thru at the end. It had a real nice flavor to it and wasn’t overpowering . The rosemary garlic... incredible. My favorite one so far. The rosemary gives it a nice flavor and the garlic comes in towards the end of the bite. It’s hard to explain it, but I highly recommend giving it a try. It’s so different than the original, makes for a nice change of pace.

I vacuum packed most of it for my coworkers. Have a decent amount left for ourselves too, which I’ll portion and seal tomorrow. We’re gonna take some of the scraps and turn them into bits and then add to vanilla ice cream. If you’ve never done that, that’s also highly recommended.

Overall, I’m extremely happy with how it all turned out. It was a lot of work, but worth it for the amount I have left and how much I sold it for haha. Plus now I have the slicer which will help when I make jerky.

Looking forward to having some full slices for breakfast tomorrow.

The bacon looks awesome!

From what I can tell, the food tray on the slicer that you purchased is only 7" long. How were you able to cut the full slices of bacon without trimming? Or is the shelf size actually larger than the 7"?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokedGouda

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »
From what I can tell, the food tray on the slicer that you purchased is only 7" long. How were you able to cut the full slices of bacon without trimming? Or is the shelf size actually larger than the 7"?

So the carriage itself is 7” but it pulls back and hangs over the edge so that there is about 9.5” between the edge of the carriage and the blade. There were a few times where I had to maneuver the slabs just slightly to get started. But overall it was not an issue.

Sweetride95 - I gave out just a few slices to each person the first time around, but then I was left with barely anything for my wife and I. Everyone loved it the last time and have been asking me all summer when I was making it again, so I decided to just throw it out there and see what the interest was. At first I was gonna give a little more than last time to each person and make sure to have a few pounds for us. But the interest was way more than I anticipated so I had to go for 3 bellies. Based on the initial feedback so far, the next time I do this the amount of orders will be even higher lol. So I may have to get 4 or 5 bellies and limit the max order size lol
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »

So the carriage itself is 7” but it pulls back and hangs over the edge so that there is about 9.5” between the edge of the carriage and the blade. There were a few times where I had to maneuver the slabs just slightly to get started. But overall it was not an issue.

Sweetride95 - I gave out just a few slices to each person the first time around, but then I was left with barely anything for my wife and I. Everyone loved it the last time and have been asking me all summer when I was making it again, so I decided to just throw it out there and see what the interest was. At first I was gonna give a little more than last time to each person and make sure to have a few pounds for us. But the interest was way more than I anticipated so I had to go for 3 bellies. Based on the initial feedback so far, the next time I do this the amount of orders will be even higher lol. So I may have to get 4 or 5 bellies and limit the max order size lol

I saw this slicer at my regional Scheels (local sports store) and I definitely see what you mean about it sliding further out. This thing can slice way bigger cuts of meat than the high-end LEM commercial model that they had on the shelf that was lucky to do 7-8 inches and for the amount of slicing that I do, this model looks like it might just fall in the price versus quality range that I am looking for. This has definitely gone into my Amazon Wishlist and I'll be keeping an eye on it looking for a deal. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Jimeo

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »
Nice looking bacon Phil! Curious if you bought the non-serrated blade or just used what came on it?  I’ve been looking at slicers a while now and would like to ask Santa for one this Christmas...😃
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SmokedGouda

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
Nice looking bacon Phil! Curious if you bought the non-serrated blade or just used what came on it?  I’ve been looking at slicers a while now and would like to ask Santa for one this Christmas...😃

Just went with the one it came with and had no issues at all.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

Jimeo

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
Hey Phil!  Did you get the 615 or 615A?  Guess the A is a new model but also $65 more on amazon, trying to make a decision.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:24:31 AM by Jimeo »
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
Hey Phil!  Did you get the 615 or 615a?  Guess the a is a new model but also $65 more on amazon, trying to make a decision.  Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing...  this is on my near-term wish-list.  I'm a little concerned the new one may not have as much travel distance.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Walt

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »
The 645 I have works well for bacon. May be worth a look.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Jimeo

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 07:26:09 AM »
I have the same concern Larry!  Thanks Walt, I’ll check out the 645...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SmokedGouda

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
Hey Phil!  Did you get the 615 or 615A?  Guess the A is a new model but also $65 more on amazon, trying to make a decision.  Thanks!

I got the 615A.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

Jimeo

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
Thanks for responding Phil!  Hoping Santa gets my Christmas list...🎅🏻
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310