Author Topic: 2nd batch of bacon  (Read 10964 times)

SmokedGouda

2nd batch of bacon
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:33:06 PM »
Onto my 2nd attempt at makin bacon.
My first attempt (https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5867) went well but I thought it was a little too salty. I followed Pork belly’s salt box method (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.0) and used it all.

After reading a little closer this time, I’ve realized that I caked on the cure too much. This time around I planned on using a little less.

Another mistake I made the first time was that I promised too much bacon to friends and family, leaving my wife and I will little for ourselves. So this time around, I took preorders for $10/lb lol. I got up to 22 lbs allocated to people other than myself.

So, off to Costco I went. I grabbed the 3 biggest bellies they had, totaling 32.36 lbs. They were 2.69/belly, on sale for 4.50 off each belly at the register. So that worked out to 2.27/lb after the discount. I cut each belly in half to manage for curing and smoking.

Because I’m making so much this time, it’s a lot of work, and I don’t make it frequently, I decided to try a few different flavors:

4 “original”
1 “maple jalapeño”
1 “rosemary garlic”

They all use the salt box cure mix from Pork Belly (link above), which I made 50% more of just in case. I used about 2/3 - 1 cup of the mix per whole belly and have a little leftover, but not enough to cover another belly. The other flavors were added to each individual 2 gallon zip lock bag.

Original: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup
Spicy: 2 Tbsp red pepper, 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper. 1/2 cup fresh chopped jalapeño (2 large jalapeños), 1/2 cup maple syrup
Garlic and rosemary: 2 Tbsp garlic powder, 1/4 cup chopped rosemary, 1/2 cup fresh chopped garlic (1 large bulb)

I just finished applying the cure to my bellies and put them in the fridge. (I had to buy a spare fridge specifically for bacon haha). I plan on leaving them in there for 7-10 days, flipping daily. Then about 1-2 days in the fridge prior to smoking. I plan on smoking on the 20th and 21st. Maybe the 22nd if I only fit 2 pieces in each time instead of 3 or if the weather is uncooperative.

I recently grabbed some Applewood, so I’ll be giving that a try this time. Never used applewood on anything before, but figured I’d try it out. I also have some old hickory and sugar maple, but they’re probably pretty dry so I’m goin with the new stuff.

Here are some pics of the prep work. More to come once they hit the smoker.

It’s gonna be a long 10 days...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:43:29 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 2nd batch of bacon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:06:56 PM »
Hey Phil,

I found the same $4.50 off deal at Costco and am going to try getting some bacon going tonight too.

I had tried Kari's Tender Quick recipe on some Buckboard bacon just recently and that turned out really well, so I think I am going to go that route again.

I have done a lot of Buckboard bacon (with Pork butts), but not a ton with actual pork belly's. So, I am only doing one belly at a time until I feel I have the process nailed down.

I actually bought two bellys and froze one. I hope that is OK. Have any of you froze bellys and then made bacon later? I just couldn't pass up that $4.50 off per pack deal on at least two packs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

sweetride95

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
Garlic/rosemary sounds tasty. I may have to try that one.
Are you using a slicer for all this production? The last belly I did gave me a blister.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
Garlic/rosemary sounds tasty. I may have to try that one.
Are you using a slicer for all this production? The last belly I did gave me a blister.

I am curious about this too.

My current el-cheapo slicer is like a 7"er that is way too small to slice bacon, so I usually end up slicing mine by hand (thus the blister comment rings true).

I have been thinking about upgrading my slicer, but just haven't really taken the time to look for one because I know that I won't use it a ton, so don't want to go full out on it, but yet wouldn't mind getting a mid-range value model of some kind.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokedGouda

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
I’m really hoping that the flavors come thru on that one. The smell is definitely present as I flip them each time. I’m going apply some more seasoning prior to smoking to help.

I don’t currently have a sliver but am most likely getting one. I did the first batch by hand, but this is 32 lbs pre smoke so that’s a lot to cut by hand. Plus since I’m collecting $10/lb from everyone at work, I could use their money to buy one. I’m not going to use it that often either, so I’m in the same boat as you. I would prefer one that’ll fit the belly without cutting them in half before slicing.  I want nice long slices of my bacon lol ... If anyone else sees this post and has a recommendation please share. I’ll search around the forum to see what I can uncover too
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

sweetride95

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
I've been looking at slicers in the $300 range. They all sorta seem the same. In the 9-10" blades I still don't know if it'll swing a full belly width.
They start getting physically large and expensive quickly when you start sizing up.
I will likely stay under $300 and just split the bellies down the middle. Half slices aren't as sexy and full strips, but consistent pieces in less time and blisters will be awesome.
Unless someone can chime in with real life experience and model numbers, I'm probably looking at something like this as my high end.....
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html
It still measures out fairly large. I will have to clean out a pantry shelf and do some double checking to see if I even have room. Realistically, I'm going to be doing half slices, so a decent 8-9" would be more then sufficient.
My brain hurts....
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
Watch Craigslist for a used commercial slicer. I picked up my 10 in Berkel for $250.  Don't buy unless you can turn it on and make sure the bearings are good (no whine, growling when running), the blade should have no nicks and be sharp (there should be a sharpener attachment), and the tray travels parallel to the blade when moved.  A new blade can cost $100.
I have cut all my bacon on the 10 in without any trouble, have had to cut some jerky muscles in half though.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SmokedGouda

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »
Just finished day 9 in the cure. I rinsed them all off and tossed them in the fridge. For the spicy one and the rosemary/garlic one, I added more seasonings prior to putting them in the fridge. For each one, I used half the amount that I used with the cure. I got some fresh home grown jalapeños from a friend so used those too.

The fridge with 3 shelves has 5 belly halves in it and the rosemary garlic is on top. I wrapped 2x4 scraps in foil so I could stack 2 on the other shelves. I may double the height since they are very close together. The solo half in the other fridge is the spicy one.

Really looking forward to getting through the weekend and onto the taste test. Planning on putting 2 slabs in the smoker at a time and I’m going to try to do 2 sessions on Saturday and then 1 on Sunday. If I only do 1 on Saturday then I’ll work from home Monday and do the final smoke then.

I didn’t really feel like spending more than $100 on a slicer since I’ll probably only use it for bacon. All the ones I found don’t seem to have a big enough carriage to hold the entire slab, so I’d have to cut them all in half to fit on the slide. I really didn’t want to have 5-6” slices; I really wanted a nice 10-12” slice. I was talking to a coworker about it and it turns out his sister has a serious deli slicer and offered to bring it to me! So now I will just save up and look to buy a better one that can hold the entire thing (& convince my wife to be ok with it) for the next time around.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:08:33 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

sweetride95

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »
Bacon project seems to me moving along nicely. I hope you have enough air flow around all your bellies to help with the drying. Looking forward to taste results on your flavor profiles. I have been sheepish about wandering too far from straight up garlic/pepper/hickory.

Your deli slicer connection is a great luxury, but will spoil you for any lightweight slicer options.

I have still been looking at slicers too. I have been watching FB market place and CL. Not too many within 50 miles come up. Otherwise, been looking at KWS slicers. The Commercial 10" is about $400, has good power, and decent reviews. But only advertises 7.5" of product length. My bacon measures around 9", so with that I will have to trim the ends a little. Burnt ends come to mind with that spare uncured belly, it would be a nice snack to have while kicking off a cure. Win-win?

I have found a few other 10" models that say they swing 8", but have less power. I am still hoping for a CL or FB score of the decade.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
Looking really good Phil!

I am going to pull mine out tonight and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days and probably not smoke until Monday or Tuesday.

If my batch goes well, I might start experimenting with some of the flavor augmentations like you have here as it looks like it is going to be really good.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SmokedGouda

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
About 8.5 hours later, the first batch is done! I cut one down the middle and had 2 slices, they were delicious.

I used a total of 10 oz of applewood, 5 in at first and another 5 after 3 hours. Got hit with 5 hours cold smoke and then about 3.5 hours at 200 degrees till they hit 150 IT. They started at about 9.84 lbs pre-smoke and came out at 9.44 lbs.

As soon as they came out, I brushed them with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup maple syrup mixture. We went for a center slice for our taste test as to avoid the overly smokey outside pieces. Gonna give it a few days to mellow out before I slice the whole thing up along with the rest of them.

Took a little longer to get up to 150 then I expected. I may have to adjust my schedule on a Monday cause I have to leave my house at 3:30 on the dot to catch a train. (I’m going to play in a flag football tournament at MetLife Stadium.) So I may have to start that at like 7 AM to give myself enough time. And possibly cut the cold smoke down to 4 hours instead of 5.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the slabs turn out after all is said and done.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:32:43 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »
The bacon is looking awesome!
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SmokedGouda

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Day 2 complete!

This one went from 9.77 lbs down to 9.1 lbs. 4 hour cold smoke and 2.5 - 3.75hr at 200. The one took way longer for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:01:30 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

SmokedGouda

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »
Finished all 3 sessions! Did the last 2 pieces, spicy and garlic, on Monday. Worked from home that day and started at 6:45 am in order to be done in time to catch my train to play flag football at MetLife stadium. (Which was awesome by the way!)

Garlic:
5.029 lbs down to 4.69 lbs
Spicy:
5.67 lbs down to 5.37 lbs

10 oz of wood (half added after 2 hours of cold smoke)
4 hr cold smoke then 3.75 hrs for spicy (2nd from top) and 4.5 for garlic (top) to hit 150IT at 200.

Pulled the garlic one out just 30 mins before I had to leave. Was getting a little nervous that it might not be done in time haha but it worked perfectly. It was so tempting to try right away but I couldn’t. But I got some delicious looking shots with the new iPhone camera haha

I ended up buying a slicer as well. Had some gift cards for amazon so that helped. Found a decent one with some good reviews:

Chef'sChoice 615A www.amazon.com/dp/B078YYDF8N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ssr0BbSC0SP4J

Got delivered yesterday and I’m planning on slicing it all up this weekend. More pics to come.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:03:11 PM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Maverick ET-732

Walt

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »
That is similar to the slicer I have. I have a 645. It has a small footprint & has worked well. The technique, I find, that works best is to slice then flip each time. Otherwise, a tail develops.

Good looking bacon and a very clean thorough write up. Chipotle, garlic & cane syrup is my go to combination. In fact, got one cureing now.

Nice job.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill