Author Topic: Wancle or Anova??  (Read 2096 times)

sweetride95

Wancle or Anova??
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:38 AM »
Hello everyone, I am ready to go sous vide.
I am stuck between the Wancle and Anova. Anova obviously is very popular, but I am not totally into the wifi or bluetooth thing.
Some other threads pump the Wancle for simplicity and fewer gizmos, just solid cooking.
Sort of like my analog #2, or my Hyundai with crank windows, I don't thrive on tech all the time.
Amazon has the Anova today for $99. The Wancle is $91.
End of the day they do the same dang thing, but now the prices line up.
Anyone use a Wancle, or should I just shut up and get the Anova? lol
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

Limey

Re: Wancle or Anova??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
I have a couple of Anovas at different houses and have found them to be very reliable and easy to use. Like you I have no use for wifi or bluetooth with sous vide cooking; remotely starting and stopping the device puts you in danger of food safety issues imo and in any case the process is not very time critical. Pretend that the Anova does not have these bells and whistles and evaluate from there. I have no knowledge of or experience with the Wancle but the Anova generally seems to have a good track record and it has been around awhile.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

sweetride95

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
I have a couple of Anovas at different houses and have found them to be very reliable and easy to use. Like you I have no use for wifi or bluetooth with sous vide cooking; remotely starting and stopping the device puts you in danger of food safety issues imo and in any case the process is not very time critical. Pretend that the Anova does not have these bells and whistles and evaluate from there. I have no knowledge of or experience with the Wancle but the Anova generally seems to have a good track record and it has been around awhile.

Yeah, you make great points. I ordered the Anova. 4+ stars and 2000-sum reviews on amazon makes it a no brainer.
Can't wait to get started.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »
I too have a couple of Anovas and have no regrets. If it is any consolation- I believe I paid $149 for my first one. On a side note- they are a great way to bring frozen smoked meats up to temp without drying out.
Brian from Wichita

Walt

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
I have an Anova & never use either the bluetooth or wifi. However, I dont regret having those options. Just haven't had any need as of yet. It is super easy to operate manually. I really like it. Great tool.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill