Author Topic: 42 day Umai dry bag aging - boneless ribeye  (Read 9840 times)

barelfly

42 day Umai dry bag aging - boneless ribeye
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
And the dry age process has begun. Picked up a boneless whole ribeye to dry age. Starting weight was 15.55lbs. I Will go with a 42 Day aging for the first one. I hope I got a good enough seal around the meat. I should be ok based on the video saying at least 80% against the meat, which I definitely have. I’ll update with pics when it looks like there is some change in the meat. But I’m excited to try this out. I’m definitely going to look into the charcuterie bags once I get the hang of this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:57:53 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 42 day Umai dry bag aging - boneless ribeye
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
I have been visiting that site as of late giving this some thought.  Not yet committed.  I read all of Tony's postings when he did this a couple years back.  Got interested then as well and did nothing.  Hope all goes well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:19:00 AM »
I have a 60-day bone-in prime rib roast going too. It will be ready Feb 28th. Looks like you have pretty good contact. If you are not sure, you can slip the whole thing into the leg of panty hose (wish I had come up with that tip).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »
Man, Jeremy, you are in for a treat!  Once you dry age some ribeyes, it will ruin you on "plain old" non-aged steaks!  I have a USDA Choice bone-in prime rib that I just pulled out of the freezer (11 lbs).  I plan to throw it in a Umai bag when it thaws.  The Choice cut will definitely benefit from the dry aging process.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
The treat is my hope! Ruining the plain steaks won’t be good! I’m already a snob with food.  I don’t enjoy going out to eat much, my expectations are too high! So if I get to that point with my own steak...... ;D

Here’s a few photos from 8 days in. Bag adhesion is great, color has changed and has stiffened up a bit. Here’s to 35 or so more days!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:26:50 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »
Coming along nicely!  Personally, I don't go over 28 days.  I love the flavor that period brings, and it doesn't shrink quite as much.  But hey, some go 60 or 70+ days!  I'm just not that patient... ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:33:53 PM »
After reading around, 42 days will probably be my max. I went long for the first time that way I am not disappointed if I don’t like it. It will be my baseline and if it’s a bit too funky for me, which I think is right at the point where it shouldn’t be funky, just nutty and intense, when I go 28 days I won’t have to wait as long and be mad that I waited longer!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Walt

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
Tony,
Have you actually gone past 28 yet? Welcome back. I dont waste my time with anything less than 45 days. However, 28 is better than 0.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

curegeorg

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 11:28:23 PM »
This seems like an awesome thing.  I read about those bags and had forgotten about them.  I can't get a great steak around here anymore, well filet, but not a ribeye.  This seems worthwhile if you have the patience (which is questionable if I do or my wife will for the space in the garage fridge)...
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
Tony,
Have you actually gone past 28 yet? Welcome back. I dont waste my time with anything less than 45 days. However, 28 is better than 0.

Sadly, no....   :(    It's the whole patience thing, cited above.  I will, though, just for you Walt!  28 is pretty tasty, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »
This seems worthwhile if you have the patience (which is questionable if I do or my wife will for the space in the garage fridge)...

It is actually best to put the umai bag/meat in your regular refrigerator. It needs to be in a refrigerator that gets opened regularly, because it needs good ventilation. So a garage or basement overflow fridge is not the best for dry aging.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »
SconnieQ, i am planning on dry aging a prime rib this spring.  I had thought that a constant temp was really important when dry aging and had assumed that the fridge should be dedicated not be opened frequently to maintain the constant temp. Am I wrong in this assumption?  Should the door be opened daily?

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »
SconnieQ, i am planning on dry aging a prime rib this spring.  I had thought that a constant temp was really important when dry aging and had assumed that the fridge should be dedicated not be opened frequently to maintain the constant temp. Am I wrong in this assumption?  Should the door be opened daily?

Actually that advice isn't exactly accurate. A fridge that doesn't get opened is okay, if it is a modern refrigerator with a fan/air circulation. Often times people have older refrigerators in their garage or basement that do not have good air circulation, or none at all, and that's a problem. Those small dorm size refrigerators are the worst. If yours has air circulation, then no need to worry. The fridge needs to maintain a temperature between 34-38F. If you are using your main refrigerator, opening the door is okay, as long as you don't stand there with the door open for long periods of time, or open the door with great frequency. If you have a lot of people in the household, a separate fridge would probably be a good idea.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »

If you are using the Umai dry steak bags, this is not nearly as critical as "open air" dry aging.  Much more tolerance for the fridge being used as normal.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Roostershooter

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:10:35 PM »
I will be using Umai bags in a fridge in the garage.  The temp is 37 degrees, but no fan.  Thanks for the advice on air circulation!