Author Topic: Dry vs Wet Brining?  (Read 3408 times)

jpowell

• facebook
Dry vs Wet Brining?
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
I've been using DM's wet brine recipes for over a year now with great results. However, I was reading that the guys at amazingribs discourage wet brining in favor of dry brining http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html
I'll try the dry brine in the near future, but was curious if any of you have done any dry vs wet brine testing? I would miss the faux smoke ring though ;-)
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

santange11

Re: Dry vs Wet Brining?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
I am curious how this would turn out for larger cuts of meat like a full pork butt or brisket. It works great for small cuts, like chicken parts or a steak, and it the way I usually bribe those things. The chicken always comes out jucy be it pan fried or baked.
Tim from Portland, OR

curegeorg

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
I only dry brine my briskets.  It's great and easy.  Did I say it's great and easy, yep because you are salting based on weight, so you can't over salt even if you let it go a bit longer cause you are too busy to cook it!  Equilibrium baby.  Also, I don't have room for a container large enough to wet brine a packer brisket.  I use .5tsp of coarse Kosher salt per lb of trimmed brisket.  Let it sit in fridge with loose cling wrap on it for about 2 days (til liquid reabsorbs) then you do whatever you want to it but don't add any additional salt!

Ironically I wet brine chicken because it's faster and I want the brine flavoring to go into the meat more.  On brisket I just dry brine and "rub" with a 3 pepper mix, no extra flavors.  Chicken, to me, needs every bit of help it can get! 
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

es1025

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
i have dry brined port butts and ribs using meathead's recipe and rub.  I typically put the rub on overnight for all pork/beef products. Wrap in plastic wrap put in fridge and let the magic happen.  I may re-apply the rub lightly. I prefer the dry brine over wet brine.  The only wet brine is poultry.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
No need to miss the faux smoke ring, but you'd need to rinse off the dry brine. Right before you are ready to smoke, rinse off the dry brine, apply a dusting of Morton Tender Quick. Allow to sit for 30-45 minutes. Rinse off the Tender Quick. Apply your binder/rub, and into the smoker.

Certainly leaving the dry brine on is more convenient, but there really is no down-side to rinsing it off once it's done it's job, if you want the faux smoke ring.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide