Author Topic: Prime Brisket  (Read 7426 times)

RG

Re: Prime Brisket
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »
Odd as it may seem, Costco sells their trimmed flats for close to $6/lbs and my prime packer was $2.89/lbs. one would think it should be the other way around.

You're paying "labor" costs for the butcher to give you a trimmed piece of meat. More labor, less meat = higher price per pound. Illogical as can be but that's how they roll! lol
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »
Odd as it may seem, Costco sells their trimmed flats for close to $6/lbs and my prime packer was $2.89/lbs. one would think it should be the other way around.

You're paying "labor" costs for the butcher to give you a trimmed piece of meat. More labor, less meat = higher price per pound. Illogical as can be but that's how they roll! lol

Bazinga!  The reason I never buy flats!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
Hi Dave, great looking brisket!  So much, that I picked up a 14# Prime Cut brisket from Costco yesterday.  Wondering if you could share about how many hours it took for your 14 pounder to get to that 190-200 F range?  I know all pieces of meat can be different, but just looking for a "ball park" time frame. 

Also too, I think you've posted that you foil your briskets in a bath of beef stock after so many hours.  Am I thinking of the right guy and did you do anything like this with this prime brisket....or was it "tanning" on the rack the whole cook time?

Have never tried a Prime Brisket and just want to come out with results as you described with yours that you just did.  Looking forward to your input.   Thanks in advance Dave.

Jeff
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
Hi Jeff,
It took about 11 hours to get to 195. I smoked it for 7 hours and then wrapped with a little of my injection liquid that was left over. I started doing toothpick test at 190 and got the feel that I wanted at 195. Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Greenenvey

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »
hi dave great lookin brisket, I see yours went less than a hour a pound? I just made a thread about mine getting done way to fast! so mabey its more common than I thought to go less than a hour a pound?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
Thanks Dave.  What temp were you set at to get to 195 in 11 hours?  Was expecting at least 15 hours minimum.  Just curious.  Thanks.....Jeff
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
It was 225 for the 7 hours that it was naked in the smoke jet. 250 for the final hours while wrapped. I assume my 14 lbs brisket was close to 12 trimmed. An hour a pound for beef is usually pretty standard for me.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah