Author Topic: Vegetarians comin' to dinner y'all! What's your favorite?  (Read 9317 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Vegetarians comin' to dinner y'all! What's your favorite?
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:33:40 PM »
I wonder if there should be a section for vegetarian-friendly main dishes to smoke on the SI (you know, besides beans and mac and cheese)! This is a challenge, but if you have a crowd, there are bound to be a few who do not eat meat, even though the meat will always be the star in my opinion. Smoked porta bella mushrooms? I know Pork Belly has mentioned the popularity of smoked tofu at his place. Looking for tried and true recipes, all in one place. I'm planning a party for friends, and a couple are vegetarians. And others are former vegetarians, now meat eaters, but would be impressed by a clever vegetarian option in addition to brisket/butt/ribs/chicken.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

Re: Vegetarians comin' to dinner y'all! What's your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »
Two weeks, and crickets... chirp chirp. Not surprised. ;D
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »
Yep.  Pretty much what you're probably going to find, around here!  By the way, crickets are meat, so they won't work, either! ;D ;D   Best thing to give vegetarians, at a BBQ party, is directions to the nearest salad bar! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »
 True. I just won't invite them. ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:32:10 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »
How about smoked mac n cheese?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
I would suggest cheesy polenta as one of the dishes if they are not vegan. I did that for my sister in law and it was like crack to her. I now have to make it every time! I have to say it is good though....although not as good as a nice brisket or pulled pork.   :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:47:52 PM »
I wonder if there should be a section for vegetarian-friendly main dishes to smoke on the SI (you know, besides beans and mac and cheese)! This is a challenge, but if you have a crowd, there are bound to be a few who do not eat meat, even though the meat will always be the star in my opinion. Smoked porta bella mushrooms? I know Pork Belly has mentioned the popularity of smoked tofu at his place. Looking for tried and true recipes, all in one place. I'm planning a party for friends, and a couple are vegetarians. And others are former vegetarians, now meat eaters, but would be impressed by a clever vegetarian option in addition to brisket/butt/ribs/chicken.

I haven't tried any non-meat smoking yet but I've been watching Project Smoke on TV (also the website) , and there are a number of dishes that look interesting.  My friend's daughter, who is the chef for several well known restaurants in Savannah, told me that portabello  mushrooms are absolutely wonderful smoked and can be substituted for beef.  Keep us posted when you try something.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
NOW they all show up, Kari! lol!! ;D ;D Better late than never!  Still sticking with directions to the salad bar... ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Glock_21

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »
I got nothin.  V-gans would starve at my house.

I would like to find a good plan for smoked mac and cheese.  But only as a side dish.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »
I got nothin.  V-gans would starve at my house.

I would like to find a good plan for smoked mac and cheese.  But only as a side dish.

;D ;D ;D +1!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »
Smoked beans, mac n cheese, tomatos, rice stuffed peppers w tomato sauce, smoked pretzels.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Durangosmoker

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »
I like the idea of stuffed peppers, but add a lot of chopped mushrooms to the rice before stuffing. Smother with an alfredo or other cheesy sauce, and cook in the smoker.

Or, scrape the gills from some portobello mushrooms, sprinkle the cavity generously with grated cheese, and smoke them.  Once done, add some (VERY well drained) cooked chopped spinach on top of the cheese, top with a poached egg, and cover with Hollandaise sauce. Essentially a smoker based vegetarian variation on eggs benedict.

Quiches are also vegetarian friendly, and could probably be cooked in the smoker.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »
Quiche in the smoker might be good.  Could be too wet? since not a super high temp.  Just thinking outloud.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »
Quiche in the smoker might be good.  Could be too wet? since not a super high temp.  Just thinking outloud.

Hadn't thought about that. Maybe use the Jerky Dryer.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 11:32:38 PM »
Thanks all. Some good suggestions to try. I hadn't thought of Steve Raichlen's website, but that would be a good resource, since both his wife and daughter are vegetarians! :o I remember seeing entire episodes devoted to meatless grilling and smoking (born out of necessity for him).
Anova WiFi Sous Vide