Author Topic: cooking method queston  (Read 6056 times)

HeavyHook

• Doug / Whitney, Texas
cooking method queston
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Reading the forums I keep running into post that say " I use the 2-2-1 method or I think the other one is 3-3-1 method" For the life of me I cant back track far enough to to find out what the post are referring to ?

drains

Re: cooking method queston
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »
Hello Heavyhook. The 2-2-1 method for ribs is 2 hours in the smoker unwrapped then 2 hours in the smoker wrapped in foil then 1 hour in the smoker with sauce, wrapped or unwrapped. Some add thier choice of liquids to the ribs when they foil them. A lot of people, me included, go with the no peek method. Just season the ribs put them in the smoker unwrapped for 5 hours if they are baby back or St. Louis cut. Start checking for doneness at 4 1/2'hours by checking for pullback of the rib bones and by inserting a toothpick between the ribs to check for tenderness If they are full spares they may take longer. The 3-3-1 is the same methodology just different lengths of time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:18:21 AM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Mr.Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
I agree no need to crutch  (foil),  I do a five hour cook with the 4 1/2 hour check. Awesome results.

Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
Don't bother with the foiling, Hook.  Just put the ribs in, with a water pan and 3 oz of wood, and close that door for at least 4 1/2 hours.  Start checking, and pull when done.  The "no peek" method is killer in these smokers!  People foil to overcome the effects of the drying heat source (wood or charcoal), and it's not necessary in the SI.  ...THAT'S why we call it "Lazy Q!" 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

HeavyHook

• Doug / Whitney, Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:17:32 AM »
Thanks for all the input. And it makes perfect sense , the code not the cooking method not to sure about that but might give it a try. It makes me remember what my Grand Father always told me many decades ago. When I would ask about how to do something, whether it was making something out of wood or planning a fishing trip. He would always say "KISS" / KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Meaning don't take something that can be done easily and over think it or add more unnecessary steps when the outcome is substantially the same. Maybe making BBQ kind of falls into that category I think. Do I brine, and make a rub out of 18 different spices before it goes on the smoke or just use my stand by 4 or 5 spices put it on the pit and wait for the results. The end results usually really good BBQ either way. Maybe sometimes we add all the extra steps to entertain ourselves not because the end product is much different??

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:39:10 PM »
Doug, because these smokers retain moisture well, and are very tight, you will get much better bark by not foiling.  Good, and chewy!!  Yum!  KISS = Lazy Q! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

HeavyHook

• Doug / Whitney, Texas
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:05:17 AM »
Thanks for the great advice, I got to have some bark on my ribs :P

es1025

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
For ribs, 240 for 4 hours and 45 minutes. Wrap and let rest for at least one hour.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?