Author Topic: Smokin in the Rain  (Read 5385 times)

Casey

Smokin in the Rain
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
Hi Guys,
I just unpacked my smoker and it is currently seasoning. I was wondering if we need to shelter the smoker from the elements.
It may rain later and I want to know how the smokers hold up to rain and or snow.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smokin in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
Hi Casey!  What smoker to you have? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Casey

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »
I have the Model 2.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »
With the standard (non-digital) models, you might want to put something over it to keep the rain off as much as possible, over the dial.  Mine live on a covered porch, and I'm not sure I would ever subject mine to a rain storm without cover.  I mean, it's pretty weatherproof, but it is still an electric appliance!  Water & electricity don't often make good company.  Maybe put it under the eves, or just inside an open garage door?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Casey

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
I will keep that baby dry. I was just curious if the dial was weatherproof.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 10:49:21 AM »
I just received my 3D and was wondering the same thing. Just curious how waterproof the controls are?
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
I just received my 3D and was wondering the same thing. Just curious how waterproof the controls are?
Andy, that question was asked recently and Tony stated that the controls themselves were waterproof but watch the probe ports. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:27:04 PM »
I think Tony said that SI was working on getting some type of plugs for the ports when not in use.

For that I think I would try texting/calling Steve at 260-417-9951 and see what he says or maybe Tony will have an update for you on this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
Steve is sourcing some plugs, but not sure if he has them yet. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »
Noted.........will see if can come up with something in the meantime.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Trip

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Still working on my patio and what I want to do with it.  Until I have a roof, I take one of those umbrella bases from deck tables and use a deck umbrella.  I strap the umbrella pole to the smoker in case of wind.  The one I have can be raised or lower and I lower it to just above the smoker so horizontal rain isn't much of an issue.  It's a super cheap solution until I finish the patio, especially if you already have a deck table with an umbrella.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »
I have SI cover on it now. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere else to store it except on the back deck, which is uncovered. Hopefully the cover is waterproof or at least water resistant.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »
When stored outside, I have a Smokin-It cover. While smoking, I just place a heavy bar glass upside down over the controller and have never had a problem.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.