Author Topic: Need help choosing a model/size?  (Read 5732 times)

snakyjake

Need help choosing a model/size?
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:17:29 PM »
Howdy All,

Need help choosing a model/size...

I know I want something bigger than #1.  Someone might be able to stuff 21 lbs of meat, but I don't want to stuff it full and not have space for smoke circulation.  I used a similar one that size and thought it was getting cramped.  Not much room for sausage or jerky.

I want to smoke 16 lbs of pork butt/shoulder.  The size you can get from Costco and other meat packing places.  Typically these meats are cut into 8 lb halves.  I like to cook both because I can't get the other half into a ziplock bag for freezing.

I want to smoke jerky or cure sausages; not at the same time, nor at the same time as the pork butt.  I'm new at this part, and I reckon I need plenty of hanging room and circulation, but not sure how much room.

I want my meat to get lots of smoke.  No such thing as too much smoke for me.

Cooking for a family of 4.

Recommendations?

Thank you,
Jake
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Need help choosing a model/size?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:33:13 PM »
Hi Jake!  You've come to the right place for opinions! ;)   We're all pretty proud of our SIs, and will answer any questions you have!

Based on what you said in your post, I would definitely steer you toward the Model 3 or 3D.  Not only are you wanting to smoke big quantities, you also need room.  The 3 just can't be beat, as far as BBQ real estate!  The 20" depth allows you to smoke full packer briskets, and whole racks of ribs, and well as multiple pork butts on the same shelf.  You can always smoke less in a bigger smoker, but you can never smoke more in a smaller one!

I have a good deal of experience with the 1, 2 and 3.  If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the 3 to start!  It's a hoss, and you just can't really appreciate the capacity until you smoke big in it! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:48:48 PM »
Definitely a #3 or #3D.

You need a lot of shelf space for jerky and sausage and if you want to smoke two butts at a time you are definitely going to want a 3.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »
If you want a 16 lb one in one cut smoked get the #3.

I do 8 and 9lbs butts in the #2 and its a tad tight around the edges.   Good room, but not much wiggle room.

I'd imagine a 16 lb is pushing the edges on a #2, so get the #3

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »
^^^^  What they said!! :)
Jason from Conyers GA

drains

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
Definitely #3. I smoke multiple pork butts in mine regularly and have never had any problems with enough space. The #3 is a great value in my opinion. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

snakyjake

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
Thanks for all the opinion.  I want to make sure my question is made clear regarding how much will be cooked at a single cook.  I won't be smoking everything at once.

Examples...

Cook #1:
I would smoke 2x8lb pork shoulder/butt.  Each on a separate shelf.

Cook #2:
Sausage

Cook #3:
Jerky

I'm also considering buying a dedicated jerky dehydrator instead of an add-on accessory, which might change the size requirement.  Not sure what the advantages are to the jerky add-on accessory.  But the main goal is simplicity and easy of use.  For me this means I can setup and leave, and come back home to all done and no over/under cooking.  No more tending.  Like the idea of setting the temperature and timer, and have everything done when I get home.  If the digital (#D) has a timer (not just meat temperature), then that should work.
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »
You could probably get the butts in a #2 on separate shelves or maybe even on one as John said above. But, if on separate shelves the lower one will get done a fair amount sooner than the top one which would not mesh with your no tending desire. And you could be pushing your space if you try to fit them both on the same shelf. With the #3, you can put both butts on the same shelf and have them done at the same time.

I lump cook #2 and #3 together as they both tend to take up similar space. Unless you are doing small batches say 10 lbs or less, I would not consider a #2. Even with the #3 you have to lay your sausages horizontally verses vertically to avoid the bottoms getting done before the tops.

And Jerky needs a lot of space to ensure adequate air movement.

I am not sure what you mean by jerky add-on accessory? Do you mean the Jerky Dryer? If so, this would be needed for both sausage and jerky, so is pretty much a must if you are going to smoke these items. Substituting a dehydrator could work in a pinch, but would not be an adequate substitute in my opinion. Plus it again would mess with your desire for no more tending.

It seems like the #3D with a jerky dryer is a no brainer to me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

snakyjake

James Jerky Dryer versus dedicated dehydrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »
How does the James Jerky Dryer compare to a dedicated food dehydrator?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »
I have a #2 and have smoked two BBs (about 8# each) at the same time with no problems.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »
I regularly get my Boston Butts from Sam's Club and they average 16lbs per two-pack, so in turn the butts average 8lbs a piece. I regularly smoke two of them at the same time and have a fair amount of room between the butts. I would not say there is a ton of room, but there is 3-4 inches from the sidewalls and each other. While putting two butts in the #2 is definitely possible and according to Steve works just fine, I think it is pushing the limit. I would prefer to have a more room space between the meat for better airflow and heat distribution.

If smoking two butts is something you will occasionally do and you don't care about having to cut your slabs of ribs in half, I think a #2 would be just fine. If you want to regularly smoke double butts, full packer briskets, or ribs without cutting, the #3 is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »
Ditto, what they said, plus...

You mentioned you cook for a family of 4.  Do you ever entertain, have friends or family over, or intend to cook for outings/work/picnics, etc?  My point is the 3 gives you options!  It will work fine, for the 3 smokes you stated, but what if you want/need to do more at one time?  Believe me, the capacity cannot be replaced by any other manufacturer.  That 20" depth is amazingly flexible, from full, uncut packer briskets to multiple butts.  I love it!

As for the jerky dryer:  Great investment.  You cannot do jerky or sausage in these smokers (too moist of an environment) without moving the air through it (like a dehydrator).  The advantage to this is that you smoke, and then dry, the meat in the same place!  You keep it in that smoky place, and don't have to transfer to a dehydrator.  Lazy Q, man! ;)   Can't beat the taste, either!  Much better than a dehydrator.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

snakyjake

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 07:13:42 PM »
When cooking a much smaller volume than the oven's volume, does the size/volume difference make a difference in moisture or smoke?

Example...
If I'm cooking a single 8lb butt in the #3, will the retained moisture be different than a #1? 
Will the smoke flavor?
Do I need to do something different?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

Hulk

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »
I would love to have a #3 but to be honest I have never been limited with my #2. I've cooked for 10-12 with no problem and have found the the #2 easy to control and consistent smoke after smoke.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »
Hi Jake, welcome!

I had the #3 and now the 3D, here's a picture of 3 pork butts in the 3D, that's 24 lbs of meat on 2 shelves with room for more!  I'd go #3 or 3D!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.