Author Topic: 1st smoke in #3 with 2 pork butts  (Read 3754 times)

AKTundra

1st smoke in #3 with 2 pork butts
« on: November 13, 2015, 04:36:22 AM »
I am thoroughly pleased with the quality of construction of the SI#3.  Overall things turned out pretty well.  The meat came out perfect, but it took a bit longer than expected.
2 x 7# on the second to top rack.  I had the Auber Box TE on a clip on the same level as the meat.  They went in midnight last night.  1st one in the back came out at 6:15pm (16 hrs 15min) at 194deg F.  2nd one came out 10:15pm (22hrs 15 min) today at 193deg F. (Maybe I need to rotate positions half way through) It could have been the Auber TE placement but I noticed that the SI would shut off even though the Auber TE was calling for heat and the Auber output was on.  This must mean that either my Smoking-it Thermostat is off a bit or the temps in the smoker at the lower elevation of the Stock TE is getting up to 250 deg when it is 227 near the top.  This could be caused by ambient cooling(its about 25 deg out).  Maybe I won't have this problem in the summer.  Either way I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the DPDT Switch bypass tomorrow.  Anyone else experience this problem?  Basically the stock thermostat would shut off and the unit would cool down to about 215deg before it would close the circuit and let the Auber take over again.  So I probably averaged around 218 degF instead of the 225 degF I had intended. 
As for me and my household we will serve the Lord
and apparently kill process and smoke our own meat; Jayson from Soldotna, AK

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: 1st smoke in #3 with 2 pork butts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
Hey Jayson, First welcome from Kansas City, the outside ambient temp. should not be a problem. On my #3 I have the permanent probe. I think your placement of the probe might have been your problem. Usually on 7# pork butts I take mine out at 195 IT. But you should have been ok. I think once you do the bypass and install the switch you will be better off. Don't forget to do an Autotune after the install. I hope also you will be doing a permanent mount probe in your smoker as it makes life a lot easier. Good luck. Also glad the butts came out perfect that is really all that matters.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

AKTundra

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
Yeah I plan on installing a permanent probe.  I know the answer is on this forum probably in a couple of spots, but where is the best place to put the Probe?  Based on what I read pretty much dead center on the back wall about 1" down from the top rack position?  This one was hanging out all day when I was smoking.  Maybe she liked the smell.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
Now THAT'S cool, Jayson!  Never had a moose watch me smoke BBQ! 

Bypassing the stock controller is good.  I don't like anything in between my Auber and element, except wire.  Easy to do.  And yes, middle of the back, about 1 - 1 1 1/4" from the top is great.  Any lower, and it will interfere with your meat...trust me on this one (learned the hard way, following the Auber instructions for the Bradley!).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »
Hey Jayson, I put mine about 1 1/4 inch from the top and just to the side of the center support bar. Did not feel like drilling thru the support bar. As I remember I drilled about 1/2 inch to the left of the center support bar. Good luck.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

AKTundra

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:54:16 AM »
I'm Really Hoping All my little parts arrive before next Sunday which is when I hope to be smoking a whole Turkey.  At work I'm so used to getting any and every part I might need for a project instantly, back here in the real world Ill just have to be patient and pray they arrive before our thanksgiving dinner.  Of course i could just put it all back together and use as is.  Anyways looking forward to using Divots Turkey recipe.  Has anyone used a Bender to bend the RTD so it ticks out about 1" into the space then runs parallel to the back wall?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »
I'm curious how many that do the bypass with the switch actually use it?  I did my bypass without the switch and have never experienced the need for a switch. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
Hey Dave, I have used my switch a few times. On the #1 when my Auber got fried I had to switch it back until I got the Auber fixed. And the other night on the #3 it was supposed to be cooking ribs at 235. When I looked was at 255 and climbing. I switched it over and then back after putting in my other probe. Then later back to the wall mount probe. I think the ribs was too close to the wall probe. But, they finished at the 235 box temp. Need to do some serious cleaning on the #3. I most use it when something goes wrong and think that is what is intended for.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:21:59 PM by elkins20 »

Limey

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
Hi Dave,
I have rigged my bypass switch with a rocket launcher cover in such a way that when the cover is closed the toggle switch points towards the stock controller and the stock controller governs. If you want to over ride the stock controller(and use the Auber) you have to lift the rocket launcher cover and throw the toggle switch away from the stock controller. I hope that this is a safety feature if someone not familiar with the equipment is using it.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.