Author Topic: KY Beef Brine Recipe  (Read 19650 times)

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
KY Beef Brine Recipe
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
This is kind of a combination of the Tony's (Divot's) beef injection recipe and his Pork brine recipe, of course with some of my preferences added.  I've used this brine recipe now on the Beef ribs and two briskets.  All turned out with unbelievable flavor and were very tender.

Beef Brine Recipe
1 Qt. Low Sodium Beef Broth
1/2 C Worcestershire
1/2 C Texas Pete's Hot Pepper Sauce
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Kosher Salt
1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Ground Oregano
2 Tbsp Black Pepper
2 bottles full bodied IPA Beer (One for the brine and one for you...this takes a while  ;))

Combine all ingredients with half of the beef stock into a 6 quart sauce pan.  Simmer (but don't boil) for 20 minutes to bring all of the flavors together.  Then pour over a gallon of ice cubes and the remainder of the beef stock in your brining container and stir until ice is melted.  Of course the ice cubes will only net you roughly 2 quarts of actual water.  So add up to two more quarts of cold water and stir. This will then net you just under 1 1/2 gallons of brine.  You can cut back on the additional water, if your brining container isn't large enough to accept this much liquid.  But with six 3-4 bone slabs of beef ribs standing on end in a 22 quart container, I still only had just enough liquid to cover all of the ribs.  I let the ribs soak for 8 hours in the fridge.  I let the two briskets go for 12 hours and had no issues at all.

By the way, I didn't inject the second brisket I did and I didn't really see any difference in the juiciness of it, compared to the first one that I brined and injected.

Feel free to modify the recipe to your liking.  But so far, I like it just the way it is!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:36:42 PM by KY Smoke »
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: KY Beef Brine Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
Hey Jeff,

On the  Low Sodium Beef Broth are you talking about 15-18 perfect sodium?

Thanks Greg

KY Smoke

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
Greg....the beef broth is just Swanson's lower sodium-no MSG- broth.   Nothing special.   We use the low sodium chicken and beef broth, so was just what we keep in the pantry.  I used a whole 32oz box, as I thought it would be better to have more broth in the brine, versus the extra water. 

As you can tell, I just kind of winged it to make enough liquid to cover the large pieces of meat and ribs.  Hope this helps.....Jeff
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks!

Greg

raymillsus

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I did not have texas Pete hot sauce so I used Franks Wing sauce. Butter will be good I think.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

raymillsus

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 09:58:21 AM »
Ok I know this is old but all I can say this recipe is amazing. Thank you for posting it.

-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

KY Smoke

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »
Hey Ray,

Been a long time since I’ve been on here!  Let’s just say “Life” happened!  But glad to hear that you liked this brine recipe.  It’s been a while since I’ve use it but have three full briskets in the freezer.  So hope to be using it again soon.  Take carE.  Jeff
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY