Author Topic: Santa Maria Steak Seasoning  (Read 7709 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Santa Maria Steak Seasoning
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
This is my version of the Santa Maria seasoning.  I played with the salt balance, and changed white sugar to demerara, and think it's pretty tasty!  Enjoy!

Santa Maria steak seasoning:

5 Tbs. kosher salt
2 Tbs. fresh-ground coarse black pepper
2 Tbs. granulated garlic
2 Tbs. dried parsley, rubbed in hands to grind finer
4 Tsp. demerara sugar

Coat cold meat with olive oil, and sprinkle steak seasoning on just before smoking.  No need to allow this to rest in the fridge.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

Re: Santa Maria Steak Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »
Gonna make this one
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »
Let me know what you think - honestly - Scott.  I'm open to mods, as this is kind of a work in progress!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
My only thought would be of removing the sugar if I was doing direct grilling....................
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
My only thought would be of removing the sugar if I was doing direct grilling....................

I tried it, last week, on the grill, and it helped caramelize a little better crust.  I liked it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
Will be trying this on some beef ribs this weekend.  Thanks Tony!  :P
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
Let me know what you think, Jeff!
Tony from NW Arkansas

KY Smoke

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:04:03 AM »
Sorry for the tardiness in getting back to you Tony, but traveling too much these days.  But was able to find some large slabs of beef ribs from a local butcher last week.  Actually brined them for 8 hours on Friday night in a modified version of your beef injection.  Then applied your Santa Maria Seasoning (plus 1 tsp of ground oregano added) and let rest in fridge, wrapped for four hours. Then into smoker at 235 F for 5 hours with 5oz total of mesquite and hickory.  These ribs weren't as meaty as the ones Greg found at RD, so were perfection with a five hour smoke. 

All I can say is they had most likely the best flavor of any beef that I've ever cooked or smoked!  My wife was sincerely impressed with the flavor and tenderness of the meat as well.  Will definitely keep a large shaker of the Santa Maria seasoning on hand for any beef I do!  Great job with the ratio on the recipe Tony!  Thanks.
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:49:21 AM »
Sorry for the tardiness in getting back to you Tony, but traveling too much these days.  But was able to find some large slabs of beef ribs from a local butcher last week.  Actually brined them for 8 hours on Friday night in a modified version of your beef injection.  Then applied your Santa Maria Seasoning (plus 1 tsp of ground oregano added) and let rest in fridge, wrapped for four hours. Then into smoker at 235 F for 5 hours with 5oz total of mesquite and hickory.  These ribs weren't as meaty as the ones Greg found at RD, so were perfection with a five hour smoke. 

All I can say is they had most likely the best flavor of any beef that I've ever cooked or smoked!  My wife was sincerely impressed with the flavor and tenderness of the meat as well.  Will definitely keep a large shaker of the Santa Maria seasoning on hand for any beef I do!  Great job with the ratio on the recipe Tony!  Thanks.

Hey Jeff,

Glad the ribs turned out and the timing of your post is good. I know you mentioned that you use a modified version of Tony's injection for the brine. I have been thinking about doing something similar. Instead of brining and injecting just add the injection ingredients to the brine.

Does anyone else do this and if so how do your results compare?

Thanks Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff!!!  That's great!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

KY Smoke

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:02:36 PM »
Hey Greg....The Brine Recipe that I use for Beef is below.  It's kind of a combination of the Tony's beef injection recipe and his Pork brine recipe, with of course some of my preferences added.  I've used this brine recipe now on the Beef ribs last weekend and two briskets.  All turned out with unbelievable flavor and were very tender.

Beef Brine Recipe
1 Qt. Low Sodium Beef Broth
1/2 C Worcestershire
1/2 C Texas Pete's Hot Pepper Sauce
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Kosher Salt
1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Ground Oregano
2 Tbsp Black Pepper
2 bottles full bodied IPA Beer (One for the brine and one for you...this takes a while  ;))

Combine all ingredients with half of the beef stock into a 6 quart sauce pan.  Simmer (but don't boil) for 20 minutes to bring all of the flavors together.  Then pour over a gallon of ice cubes and the remainder of the beef stock in your brining container and stir until ice is melted.  Of course the ice cubes will only net you roughly 2 quarts of actual water.  So add two more quarts of cold water and stir.  This will then net you just under 1 1/2 gallons of brine.  Even with six 3-4 bone slabs of beef ribs standing on end in a 22 quart container, I still only had just enough liquid to cover all of the ribs.  I let the ribs soak for 8 hours in the fridge.  I let the two briskets go for 12 hours and had no issues at all.

I will add this to the Brine section now as well.  Sorry I haven't shared this sooner, but I thought I was just a weirdo, as I haven't seen anyone else brining any beef....just injecting.  By the way, I didn't inject the second brisket I did and I didn't really see any difference in the juiciness of it, compared to the first one that I brined and injected.

Feel free to modify the recipe to your liking.  But so far, I like it just the way it is!
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Jeff, I have a four rib plate of short ribs in the freezer that I have to try this on. Thanks for sharing! 🤓
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
Hey Jeff,

This is what I had in mind and gives me an excellent starting point for a new brine.

Greg

KY Smoke

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
Be sure to let me know how it goes Bob!  Good luck.  Jeff
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Tony, Lets see the finished Tri Tip..............
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732