Author Topic: Aaron Franklin BBQ Visit & Other Great BBQ Spots In Texas!  (Read 27473 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Aaron Franklin BBQ Visit & Other Great BBQ Spots In Texas!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
I had read this too about the pepper size and called Tones about the restaurant pepper they sell at Sam's and it is 16 mesh.

Brian,

The Tones Restaurant Black Pepper (18 oz.) is 14 mesh, the Tones Course Ground Black Pepper (16 oz.) is 16 mesh.

Not sure it would make any difference here.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 03:19:21 PM »
I ended up buying two lbs. of the ground pepper 16 mesh from Monterrey Bay Spices. Price with shipping worked out to about $15.00 a lb.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
Last nights dinner was at Freedmen's which is located in a historic building from 1869. For dinner I ordered the Holy Trinity Plate along with a side of potato salad.

First up I tried the pork rib, tasty and fall of the bone. Had a good taste with just a hint of black pepper. Next I tried the sausage, which I had to cut with a knife, the flavor was not bad, but nothing I would order on the side. The brisket was tender and also had just a hint of pepper (not as strong as Franklin's or Lewis), but not very juicy.

Overall not a bad meal, but I would not rate them in the top BBQ places to visit in Austin.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »
The search for excellent BBQ continued today.

For lunch I stopped by a small BBQ place that is much overlooked and so far does not have the crazy lines.

I arrived at Brown's BBQ located on Lamar Blvd around 11:00 am. They were still putting the menu out as I pulled up, but were ready for business within a few minutes.

For lunch I ordered a few slices of the brisket and two beef ribs. I was amazed as they brought out the brisket from the smoker. It reminded me of a large piece of jelly the way it flexed and wiggled. When they cut me a few slices, I just knew that this was going to be a great lunch.

The brisket had great bark, excellent flavor and was tender and juicy. The beef ribs, did not have much meat on them, but the flavor did not disappoint!

Also worth noting is that Brown's use Certified Angus brisket.

Overall an excellent lunch and I would place their BBQ in the top five or so in the area.

Greg

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:20:07 PM by gregbooras »

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
was
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
I was amazed as they brought out the brisket from the smoker. It reminded me of a large piece of jelly the way it flexed and wiggled.

Just how you want your brisket to be. I get the jelly-like thing from my SI. I didn't really get that in my WSM. Your photo bending the slice perfectly shows how the meat fibers should be. I'm also really impressed with the smoke rings these guys get. When I used the Morton TQ dusting, I thought that the 1/4 inch I achieved might be too large, but I can see from your numerous pictures that it is actually very realistic!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2015, 04:00:13 PM »
Well I almost gave up, I have tried eating at John Muellers BBQ three times and every time they have been closed.

But today must have been the lucky visit (He has cut back on his days open, now Thursday-Monday). I arrived about 10:20 am. and was the first to arrive on the scene. John was tending the wood on the smoker and getting things ready to open. Just a short 15 minute wait and I was standing in line waiting to order.

For lunch I ordered the brisket, beef rib and spicy jalapeno and cheese sausage.

I decided to tackle the rib first and at first glance it really looked on the burnt side and overdone. But when I bit into it and wow the flavor was excellent and so was the tenderness. Next I tried the brisket and once again it did not disappoint. The brisket was tender, juicy and could not have tasted any better.

Moving on to the sausage I was impressed, it had just the right amount of heat with a nice cheesy center.

The only thing I did not care for was the BBQ sauce. But overall an excellent lunch and I will plan to visit John's again on another visit.

I did have some sausage and a bit of brisket I will save to compare with Stiles BBQ which I will be having for dinner with my crew.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
Still jealous, Greg...and you're making it worse. >:(    ...Awe, just kiddin'!  That's been quite a BBQ tour! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
Still jealous, Greg...and you're making it worse. >:(    ...Awe, just kiddin'!  That's been quite a BBQ tour! ;D

Hey Tony,

It has been a fun few months traveling in Texas and sampling some great BBQ.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
Tonight wraps up my two month Texas BBQ tour.

I will be back in a few months and I will do my best to find a few more places to review, but tonight's dinner was Stiles BBQ.

Stiles BBQ opened in Austin Texas in 2011, Taylor, Texas native and owner Shane Stiles along with lead pitmaster Lance Kirkpatrick.

Lance Kirkpatrick is not only a Texas native, but worked and gained his experience from years of working for Bobby Mueller in Taylor Texas.

For dinner I ordered brisket, beef ribs and the spicy sausage along with chocolate banana pudding for desert.

The results.....

The brisket was tender tasty and smoked just right, the beef ribs were excellent, just the right chew and brisket on a bone.

I know I forgot to tell you about the sausage....

Let me tell you it was almost fork tender and the heat was just right.

But what about the desert.....

If you know me, I don't do desert, but the chocolate banana pudding was excellent.

So the final test for dinner was to compare John Mueller's Brisket with Stiles.

Per my last post earlier today, I saved some brisket from today's lunch.

Tonight two of my co-workers compared the two briskets and while both were excellent, John Mueller's brisket was the winner!

Needless to say, I will be visiting both BBQ's again in the future.

Greg

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
Nice job sufferin' for the cause Greg! Nice to see BBQ places turning out great meats! 😊
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
Nice job sufferin' for the cause Greg! Nice to see BBQ places turning out great meats! 😊

Bob,

You know me, always willing to take one for the cause :)

But as a side note, I think I will be eating some salads and some fish this weekend!

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »
The only thing I did not care for was the BBQ sauce

If your walking out talking about how good the sauce is, we have done something wrong.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
The only thing I did not care for was the BBQ sauce

If your walking out talking about how good the sauce is, we have done something wrong.

In the last few months, I have had the privilege of visiting some of the best BBQ places in Texas. This adventure has not only changed my option of BBQ in general, but what Texas BBQ is all about.

I am still amazed with all my travels and I am not only talking about food, but how we are all connected and food is the one thing we can all talk about freely.

Like most of you I am very passionate about food and I really enjoy exchanging ideas and recipes and ideas in this format.

My reviews here were mostly about the BBQ and not about the sauce or the sides. But if you serve them, expect someone to comment on them.

I hope your enjoyed the pictures, I think they are the best story I can tell about the food.

Greg

If this was about competition, reme

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2015, 07:59:38 PM »
Thank you, so much, for the tour of Texas BBQ, Greg!  I, for one, appreciate the time you put into these great pics and posts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
Keep the picture show coming Greg!  No matter where your travels take you or what you feel like critiquing!  ;) 
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY