Author Topic: Aaron Franklin BBQ Visit & Other Great BBQ Spots In Texas!  (Read 27495 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Aaron Franklin BBQ Visit & Other Great BBQ Spots In Texas!
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
I thought my travel was done for the year, but I had a unexpected trip come up to Dallas Texas this week. While the BBQ in Dallas is not as extensive as Austin, I was able to sample three places on my trip.

My first stop was the FM Smoke House in Irving Texas, just a few miles from the DFW airport. They opened in 2012 and while not in the top 50 best BBQ the brisket is decent, one of the better rated BBQ places in Dallas.

For dinner I enjoyed the brisket sandwich along with some Borracho Beans and fries. The brisket was juicy and tender, but a was bit over the top on the smoke for my taste. The beans were nice and spicy and the fries were crispy and tasted good.

Overall a good dinner but out of the three places I tried in Dallas I would rate it last. Maybe 3 out of 5 with Franklin's BBQ in Austin at a 5.

Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
Even the bun looks "juicy" :o maybe shiny not in a good way?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
Even the bun looks "juicy" :o maybe shiny not in a good way?

No the bun was good, not soggy!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
For my second stop for BBQ in Dallas, I enjoyed a great lunch at the Hard Eight BBQ. I discovered this place a few years ago when looking for BBQ close to the Dallas airport. Since my last visit was really good, I decided to give this a go for a working lunch.

When you arrive, you park and then walk around to the back of the building where all the smokers are. The smoke fills the air as you get close to the BBQ and you become one with the Q!

While waiting in line you pick your meats and the quantity, the meat is then weighed and priced. Next you take your food inside and pick your sides and drinks and then pay. Before sitting down your next stop is at the back where they have a large pot of spicy pinto beans.

For lunch I had the brisket, wrapped shrimp, sweet potato, jalapeno sausage, pinto beans and the creamed jalapeno corn. 

What can I say the brisket was very tasty and tender, the sausage was excellent with just the right amount of heat. The sweet potato was cooked just right and the creamed jalapeno corn was really good .

Overall a hit for lunch...

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Greg!  Looks great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »
Nice job ya got there!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
Nice job ya got there!

Anytime you can mix work and hobby/fun, you have a pretty good combination!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2015, 08:41:08 PM »
Well my last BBQ visit for Texas this year (unless I have brisket at the airport in the morning) was Lockhart Smokehouse BBQ in Dallas.

For lunch I enjoyed, Brisket, Shoulder Clod, beans and spicy pickles.

As you can see by the photos below the Brisket and the Shoulder Clod were juicy. I have to say this was the first time I have had Shoulder Clod and It was impressive. The taste of the meat is very similar to brisket, but leaner. While both pieces of meat were good tasting, I think I prefer the Brisket.

Overall another really good lunch and I would give Lock Hart Smoke House 1st place of the three places I had lunch in Dallas, but it was close with the Hard Eight BBQ.

One thing I noticed in all three places in Dallas I tried BBQ, none had the level of pepper I saw used and tasted in the BBQ joints in Austin. For some this is a plus, but overall some good eating.

To be continued in 2016!

Greg

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
Greg, I think I want to go on a business trip with you....  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
+1   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
Greg, I think I want to go on a business trip with you....  :)

When I traveled a lot in the Air Force, we called any trip that had enough time for BBQ & golf a "boondoggle!"  Here's to boondoggles, Greg! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!