Author Topic: 2nd Smoke - Smaller Pork Shoulder  (Read 7286 times)

KAG

2nd Smoke - Smaller Pork Shoulder
« on: August 01, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
So injected with molasses and bourbon then rubbed with a sweet apple rub I made. I then left it in the frig for a day before placing in SI3.

Pecan wood, digital temp probe in the meat, smoker dialed in to 235F. Will pull it somewhere in the 198F area.

I was going to do a Brisket but as this unit is new and I am learning it's nature I did not want to risk a $70 cut of meat.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:13:07 PM by KAG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: 2nd Smoke - Smaller Pork Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
Kag,

What amounts and how much of the molasses and bourbon did you use.

I am interested to hear how this tastes!

Greg

KAG

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
Man I don't exactly measure anything but roughly about 1/3 cup of cheap bourbon....I drink the good stuff but cooking....I use the cheaper stuff.

1/3 cup of blackstrap molasses......1 heaping tablespoon of my rub, a little Cinnamon  and 2/3 cup of water. I try to keep my rub, sauce, and injections simple. You actually don't have to use a whole lot as I have found letting it sit over night the meat really soaks the flavors up and once the shoulder is shredded it all works out well.   

Peach Schnapps works well also on shoulders, turkey, and hams

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
KAG,

You injection sounds great!

Thanks Greg

KAG

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
Been in now almost 12 hrs and internal temp of meat is 168F. This smaller pork shoulder is probably going to take about 16-17hrs.....very surprised at that. I dropped a second probe to just see what the box temp was and it's 221F.

Oh well, saturday night I usually am up late anyway

Tyarra

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »
How small is "smaller"? :)

Our first smoke was a couple (unintentionally so - the roast /looked/ like it was one, but once unwrapped, turned out to be two) of picnic pork roasts, and took ages!  They were about 3.5 pounds each, and took about 12 hours to finish, one finishing a little before the other.
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

KAG

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 02:33:27 AM »
Well after 16hrs with the last 4hrs at the highest Smoker temp setting.....internal temp 179F. Box probe said 218F

Pulled it out and sliced it open and indeed it was not done all the way next to the bone. Smoke ran out hours ago. Will finish in the oven......

My video review I have been working on a little covering the first 5 smokes isn't starting well. I know you guys really like your SI product but I am not seeing the magic yet. My old cheap electric smoker that died recently after 4 years would of smoked this in about 9hrs.

it looked good

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:41:17 AM by KAG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
I agree if you are looking only at time then other smokers work as well. But I really believe the consistency, ease of use and the end result is what makes this smoker really shine.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
+1
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
Since I'm one of the few foilers here, it pretty much works like any other smoker, even for time.  For me, the automated function with the Auber is what makes this such a nice smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

KAG

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
I agree if you are looking only at time then other smokers work as well. But I really believe the consistency, ease of use and the end result is what makes this smoker really shine.

Greg

Consistency, ease of use, and end results are really hard to achieve without predictable temp and smoke management. Time is calculated from being able to Consistently manage temps.

For me, the automated function with the Auber is what makes this such a nice smoker.

And I am starting to lean towards the thought that in order to make My New SI#3 a Nice smoker I will need to spend an additional 30% of the original cost to make it that way. Would anyone be Ok with that concept if you had to do it to your new truck, TV, power tools in order to get the high end quality originally advertised?

Just going to call them on Monday as I think there is an issue with the temp thermostat, temp feed back probe, or heating element.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:56:52 PM by KAG »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
KAG - not sure how big that picnic shoulder was, but 16 hours is way too long, imo.  What did it weigh?  If you have any doubts, or reservations, call Steve on Monday.  Your results are not typical.

I will say this - small cuts (under 4 pounds) do take extraordinarily long (as much as 3 hours per pound), but to only be 179 after 16 hours is not right.  And no, you do not need an Auber to make this a great smoker; lots of folks out there, turning out great Q, with the stock setup.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
KAG,

Have you done a baseline of the temp of your smoker?

As Tony said, you might want to give Steve a call on Monday. But there is an adjustment for the controller.

Here are the results of the base test I ran on my #2.

*Note I ran it with the firebox in, but empty.

KAG

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
7.04 lbs Bone in......like I said, smaller

I have to say I thought that even though the pork was not done when pulled, it was beautiful in appearance with great caramelization of the sugars and bone pull back.

Good suggestion to do a baseline and I will see what I can do....but I still have several acres to brush hogging to do today and it's sweltering humid here so I might wait till this evening.

I had mentioned I was calling them tomorrow and I already sent an email. I try to be realistic and I am science and fact based as that's my area of professional expertise. So not every item that comes off a production line is going to be perfect. The reviews I read before purchasing all said Customer Service was really good so I am very optimistic. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:06:10 PM by KAG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
KAG,

I am sure you will get this resolved, but either way I think the base line test is a most for all owners.

Best Greg